clownfish fry

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
clownfish fry

Absolutely! I would love to!

Haddonisreef;281215 said:
So I have a breeding pair of black saddle backs, any chance u would want to try to raise one of there frys? Lmk they lay every two weeks or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
clownfish fry

Haddonisreef;281242 said:
Ill work on getting them a plain of glass to lay on, how long from them laying to pulling the eggs out?
[/QUOTE]

The rough side of a piece of tile or a small terra cotta pot works best. But if you change the environment too suddenly, it may throw their cycle of for a little while. As for time cycle it depends on tank, temp, water etc. Mine take 8 days. A good rule of thumb is when the eyes of the fry turn silver hatch night is close by. Typically 7 to 10 days. If you can pull them with a few gallons of water on hatch day or close to it, I will have a 5 gal tank ready. They need to stay with tank water for the first few days. And If they are still eggs, need a very slow bubble of air to keep them aerated but the dad clown does a better job than an airline can. So the longer with the parents the better.

I can't pull the rock that my eggs are on out. So I have to wait till hatch night. Shut all pumps, power heads, etc off and run an airline. I cover the tank with a few towels to black it out at lights off and wait a few hours. Then I start the painstaking process of siphoning the fry out with a small section of airline( the shorter the better) they aren't a fan of long journeys.

Let me know if you need any help. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see the little guys doing so well. You have a knack

It's more than luck - I tried my hand at raising blue dempsey fry once and it was rough. I think several times I lost all the little boogers and couldn't figure out why. I did have a couple successful batches, but it was depressing watching them grow and then for seemingly no reason (although undoubtedly there was one), I would come home and they were all dead. It is very time consuming and you have to sort of be on top of it at all times. Can't wait to see more pics of the babies!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since I'm being a post whore tonight, how about some fish pics. About a month old...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I almost forgot about these little guys can't wait to see them in person.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are too cool I must say. When all said and done, if you dont have any I will donate a pair to the classroom tank

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
xjmav;284412 said:
They are too cool I must say. When all said and done, if you dont have any I will donate a pair to the classroom tank

Awesome!!!!! Love seeing people help him out with the reef in school