Clowninaround7474's 60g cube build

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after a lot of thought... I decided to get back into the hobby after being gone for about 5 years. I picked up a 60g cube yesterday which will be in my office.

I'm going to be painting my office before getting it all setup.

I am really excited to be setting this up but really feel a bit lost since its been a while since having my last tank.

I need some suggestions:

Sump- looking at the eshopps r100 since it will fit in the stand and has a spot for a small fuge
Skimmer- no idea what's good now. Looking at the SWC 120
Return pump - looking at a quiet one 3000
Lights- evo 150w from Chris (reefkoi)
Power heads- 2 hydor koralia's- not sure what gph yet

This should be a good start. I am also looking into an RODI unit and controller so I welcome suggestions there too!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome back!!! Great tank I always loved that size!!!! Following along to watch your progress :D

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
are you the same clowninaround that was the pres. of the club like 4 years ago? at any rate, 60 cubes are fantastic!!!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;261321 said:
Welcome back!!! Great tank I always loved that size!!!! Following along to watch your progress :D
Thank you, I am looking forward to getting this thing going. I'm still trying to plan equipment now.

Dr.HarlemTutu;261326 said:
are you the same clowninaround that was the pres. of the club like 4 years ago? at any rate, 60 cubes are fantastic!!!
No, that's not me. I've been out of the hobby since 2008 roughly and was part of the SCMAS group as I was in school down in Co Spgs. I think back then this group was the RMRC

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! I have the same tank :p I have an Eshops R-200 fuge under mine :p And for a skimmer I suggest a bubble magus. I think a Nac 5 will fit in there.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you, I'm looking forward to getting it going! So I am narrowing down the equipment list but added a few more unknowns..

Sump/fuge: eshopps r100
skimmer: SWC 120return: quiet one 3000
powerheads: ecotech MP10 (maybe 2 of these on a wavemaker)

Still debating:
LIGHTS: debating between the AI Hydra or the EVO 150w. Suggestions? Pros, cons?? I really like the controller on them AI
HEATER: thinking about running 2 150w titanium heaters... Any suggestions on a good brand?
CONTROLLER: thinking about the Apex...

Thoughts??

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Heaters depends on if you're going to get the Apex or not. The brand of heater I would get is an Eheim Jager. +1 for apex definitely. I would personally suggest the AI Hydra. It is made with Cree LED's which are very well built. Plus they are an American product.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;261687 said:
Heaters depends on if you're going to get the Apex or not. The brand of heater I would get is an Eheim Jager. +1 for apex definitely. I would personally suggest the AI Hydra. It is made with Cree LED's which are very well built. Plus they are an American product.
sethsolomon;261688 said:
I would suggest doubling the size capacity of your skimmer. for only $40 more you could get http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=4W05001&child=4W07001
Thanks for the suggestions. The more i look up the AI, the better it seems. I agree with the skimmer but don't think it will fit in the sump... I'll have to wait and measure when I get it.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That does ultimately double the skimmer capacity, and I've heard good things about the bubble magus. Thank you!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Next step is painting the office. Once that's done I'm going to be starting to plumb it down to the sump. Hopefully by then I will have my return and skimmer and can get it running

I run an ASM G4 on a 40 display with a 29 sump. It does its job and doesn't take much adjusting, pretty simple skimmer. I also run a 120W reef breeders led unit (doesn't come close to the quality of an AI) although its a good compromise.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well i got around to painting the office and the r100 came in today. I'm going to be painting the inside of the stand white for better viewing. Looking at the DJ power strip to organize cords.