Clowninaround7474's 60g cube build

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Well some changes to the cube. I was dosing 150ml or more per day of alk and ca and I had an awesome reactor fall into my hands so I couldn't help but make the switch.

The reactor is a Vertex Aquaristick RX-6 duo. No clue what it's rated for but probably 5x what is needed for my cube. I figure I'll have the equipment for when I upgrade tanks someday.

I just set it up and am working on dialing it in. Fingers crossed I don't nuke everything!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thats a sexy lookin reactor

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;363521 said:
Looking great!!!
Thank you. I'm working on better pictures here soon

SynDen;363524 said:
Thats a sexy lookin reactor
Yea it's a nice reactor! Just needed some cleaning up and it's good as new. The recirculation pump is a bit noisy but I'm working on it.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The trick to that reactor is to make sure all of the regular air is forced out the top by pulling out one of the upper hoses until water comes out (with the feed pump on and needle valve shut) and also leaving the bubble counter about 1/2 full of rodi. I had essentially the same reactor on my 125 and it handled it no problem dialed way down.

Also, make sure you have a check valve between the bubble counter and the gas dissolving chamber and another between your regulator and bubble counter or you could get saltwater corroding the regulator.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Rumen;363546 said:
nice you don't waste anytime dude
Yea I was excited to get this set up!

zombie;363548 said:
The trick to that reactor is to make sure all of the regular air is forced out the top by pulling out one of the upper hoses until water comes out (with the feed pump on and needle valve shut) and also leaving the bubble counter about 1/2 full of rodi. I had essentially the same reactor on my 125 and it handled it no problem dialed way down.

Also, make sure you have a check valve between the bubble counter and the gas dissolving chamber and another between your regulator and bubble counter or you could get saltwater corroding the regulator.
Awesome, thank you for the tips!!

CRW Reef;363549 said:
Randall your tank is freaking INSANELY AWESOME man !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:
Thanks Chad!! I am excited to get better pictures here soon.

Walter White;363562 said:
Looks great! Im sure your love the calcium reactor. You planning on using any Kalkwasser along with it?
Yea I think I'll like it once it's dialed in. This was used from a friend of mine and some of the essentials appear to be bad and need replacement. I think the regulator and solenoid are bad as the CO2 doesn't shut off when the PH monitor says to. I may be ordering a new one but can't decide on which one.

I'm going to see how things go without Kalk but it may be inevitable. I'm hoping with the 2nd chamber it will de-gas enough to eliminate the need. I really have this thing dialed down so it's not much effluent going into the tank (1 drip every 4 seconds right now)

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Early morning natural sunlight top down pic

Different angle

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it was a bad weekend for the tank. I woke up on Saturday to the front 1/2 of the rock work collapsed. Big colonies turned to pieces... Sucks. I am not sure what happened but all of the rocks were epoxied together from day 1. I'm only assuming the weight from the colonies got it?? Either way I'm just glad it didn't break any glass or kill any fish, although my diamond goby hasn't been out and looks to have a "bruise" on him.

I picked up some new rock and rescaped. I am happy with the new scape and am ready for some new acros. Silver lining is I can add some new corals to a previously full tank.

Before:

After:

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;365436 said:
Still looks pretty good to me.
Thanks Mike. I was more bummed about losing big colonies that I had grown from frags... Years of growth gone in a flash. But that's part of the hobby. I was lucky to pick up some nice rock from Cris at AA and rescape it to look halfway decent

I'm just hoping the diamond goby pulls through. He ate a little bit today but is staying near his hole and has that big bruise looking wound

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I hope he pulls through. I was really bummed when I lost my diamond goby. They are such interesting fish.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sunday update!

Everything seems to be getting settled in after the collapse and I've been lucky enough to get some awesome frags from AA to restart.

I did lose the diamond goby so a replacement was purchased, but my mystery wrasse has been a jerk to him. It was out this morning when the lights came on but went back into his hole as they ramped up. I hope he's eating.

New archway with frags