Collecting in mexico.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Question, what are the rules about collecting? Do you have to get a license? I just want to collect some stuff from the tide pools. Feather dusters, blennies, whatever else i happen upon.

Also, i saw a thread about a bubble lid from walmart, how did you heat the water? small heater plugged into car?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Nearly impossible to get a permit for Mexico, as to heating during the summer not a big deal, the fish will generally be happy down to about 70

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
http://www.bajainsider.com/article/fishing-limits-mexico-–-hey-gringo-put-fish-back

found that...so maybe this is a loop hole. If i'm reading this correctly, technically i could catch fish with a net from shore (going to keep looking for info about bringing back across). I'm driving, not flying....

Fishing licenses

Before fishing in Mexican waters all anglers must have a valid Mexican Sport Fishing License. This license covers all types of fishing and is valid anywhere in Mexico. These licenses may be purchased by day, week, month or year. Purchasing a license for the vessel is no longer required.

The boat operators normally provide licenses for people fishing on charter sport fishing boats, check before you go. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. A fishing license is not required when fishing from land.

Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.

The fishing license allows you to capture only fin fish. It does not allow you to capture any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuava, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time.

The exception to this rule is Marlin, Sailfish and Swordfish and Shark, of which only one (1) of each is allowed, and which counts as five (5) toward the overall ten (10) fish limit.

Additionally Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two (2) of each species are allowed, and which count as five (5) toward the overall 10 fish limit.

Like we said, a little confusing so here are some example of daily limits. Remember you can always come back tomorrow.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...SA-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_Califor.html

Found this thread, i know they talk about fish they are probably getting on a boat and catching to eat. Nobody mentions bringing them back alive...however i think technically catching fish only in the tide pools from the shore is legal. Would need a fishing licence I'd, say if i went snorkling....

I dunno i'll keep researching... Maybe even go into the place you get fishing licences from in mexico and talk to them.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nearly impossible to export live fish legally out of Mexico. Fishing as discussed in the links above is for fishing to eat, not to export/transport.

Driving anywhere in Mexico, you can be subject to vehicle search at any time. There are military checkpoints scattered around the country that do this.

According to the coconut telegraph, if you wind up in Mexican prison, they don't feed you. Your family is expected to supply you with food. I have not personally tested this out yet.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
If anyone would know its Fins, who lives there ;) I wouldn't try it. They are known to pretty strict about this too, and having the fish alive with you, would be a clear indication that you're not intending to eat it.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I researched collecting and shipping north to y'all when we moved down here. It was a no go from every angle. They don't want you doing it, bottom line. They don't even want you keeping tanks here.