Coming SOON!!! Our forums are going to change!!!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I think we all agree that the current boards suck?! The previous forums werent to bad, but the "upgrade" to vbulletin5 has been far from enjoyable. I have been working on a solution for sometime now, so finally I can announce that we are ditching the vBulletin nightmare, and we will be switching to a new forum software called Xenforo.

What does this all mean for you?

- Extended maintenance period coming up on Monday September 25, 2017.
During this time I will be migrating the old boards to the new boards, setting up permissions and making final adjustments. I will try and be as quick as possible, I am shooting for 4hrs, but there is the possibility the site will be down for a day or more. Dont panic!! I am working on it, and will get it back up asap!

- Password, avatars and signatures will be reset for EVERY user.
User passwords cannot be carried over to the new boards, so every user will need to reset their password via the 'forgot password' link on the login screen(s). Avatars and signature may also need to be re-done

- Inboxes will likely be wiped and reset as well
Not sure on this yet, but very likely that inboxes and PMs wont carry over to the new boards.

- UNINSTALL TAPTALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once we switch over, taptalk will no longer be compatible with our site. You can try and view it through taptallk if you like torturing yourself. For those that dont like to torture themselves, and like to view the site in an easy to read format, at any size, then just use your mobile browser to visit the site. Everything will be fully responsive and working on mobile, tablets and desktop a like.

I will try and keep everyone posted before I bring the site down to make the switch. Let me know if you have any questions too

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
quackenbush;n677124 said:
Can I humbly suggest that the number of sub-forums be cut drastically?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is something I will be looking into after the switch, as there are quite a few old and inactive thread that can be removed or merged to another.

High Plains Reefer;n677141 said:
Will the chat box return?
I will have to look into that. I almost forgot about the chatbox. I will check and see if there is one for xenforo

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Okay, looks like next Monday is our day. September 25th!!!
Going to try and start in the morning, and the site will likely be down all day while we do the final import and I get everything else setup.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Believe xen is what my main form i read uses. If so it's great. Great notifications, mentions in posts,, automatic link passing and preview. Etc

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Fitz19d;n677246 said:
Believe xen is what my main form i read uses. If so it's great. Great notifications, mentions in posts,, automatic link passing and preview. Etc
Ya when I was researching different BB types and software, it was the clear favorite, based on ease of use, community reviews, and available features. It hopefully will be a complete paradigm shift for the boards, especially coming from what is regarded as the worst BB software out there. Likely will take me a while to get a full grasp of all the available features too, but there will be plenty to explore and expand on.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
when we switch can you bring back the option to start at the end of the thread instead of being forced to the beginning each time then having to find the end? kthanks :p

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Cherub;n677249 said:
when we switch can you bring back the option to start at the end of the thread instead of being forced to the beginning each time then having to find the end? kthanks :p
haha I know what you mean. the button to go to the end of the thread isnt very obvious in vb5

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Thats right, the filters worked different. It was set to always go to last post on the What's New Page, but vb5 changed it into this tiny button on the side and removed that filter option. Ill keep that in mind as I set up the new one, but pretty sure it will work much better either way lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:bump:
Just a reminder that this is coming up soon and all users will need to reset their passwords, and avatars after the site comes back up. Just click the forgot password link and reset it. Also note that inboxes will also be cleared as these wont be migrated over. Make any notes or save any PMs that you may need before hand, if you have any.