Cooking rock

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got about 100 lbs of dry rock this weekend, some is bleach white, but some of it looks like it was pulled out if a tank and just left in a bucket to dry. My plan was to wet it and scrub it down really good, let it dry for a week or 2 in the sun, then put it in my 100 gal stock tank with the water I take out to do a water change. Then I was gonna cover it with a heater and power head or 2 in there and let it cook for about a month. Then take it out, clean it again with salt water, then cook it again for another month. The second time I was gonna add some microbacter7 or something along those lines. By that time I think I'll be ready to setup my basement or garage sump. Any thoughts or suggestions?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm a bit over-the-top (a.k.a...anal), but I got a ton of rock (live and dry) with the live having pests. I killed everything in a 150g rubbermaid with bleach followed with muriatic acid. Dried for a week and then cooked for over a month. Worked like a charm!! My past thread on it...hopefully the link to the RC thread is still working. I got alot of information from that. FYI, hit me up if you consider it. I made one mistake in process (which you'll quickly learn if you read) but it's an easy one not to make. ;) Good luck any way you do it.

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?9751-Rock-Renewal

Punjab

Angel Fish
Haha I was reading through that thread you just posted and when I came upon drtymnky's post in the midst of all that arguing I almost fell out of my chair laughing! I must quote it.

drtymnky said:
personily i prefer to soak my rock in chicken blood under the full moon with 3 candles lit in a triangle and ask john waynes ghost to spit his blesed chaw in to my eye never had a problem with my rock yet
I don't know maybe I just wake and bake too hard but that's how I'm curing all my rock now!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Shelby! That's exactly what the guy I bought it from said to do!! When he said muriatic acid i was like "this guy must be crazy!!" but he spouted off what you did to a t!
Rockyspride- the reason I want to do all of this is because of my phosphate problem now. I bought my current rock from a neighbor breaking down her 9 year old reef tank, and just came home and stuck it in my tank. I think it's spent and leaching phosphates out now. So I want to make sure this batch is fresh and ready to go so I can switch it out, then I'll do the same to the current rock and have all good rock!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;170134 said:
Thanks Shelby! That's exactly what the guy I bought it from said to do!! When he said muriatic acid i was like "this guy must be crazy!!" but he spouted off what you did to a t!
Rockyspride- the reason I want to do all of this is because of my phosphate problem now. I bought my current rock from a neighbor breaking down her 9 year old reef tank, and just came home and stuck it in my tank. I think it's spent and leaching phosphates out now. So I want to make sure this batch is fresh and ready to go so I can switch it out, then I'll do the same to the current rock and have all good rock!
Cool...hopefully it works as well for you too! BTW, I was able to pick up the muriatic acid at Home Depot. Costco or Sams is great for the bleach and baking soda side.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not sure if you already started the process, but I started with the same situation as you ("old tank" rock that leached phosphates, may have been left to dry at some point). I was about to go the acid wash route, and was exchanging emails with someone on wetwebmedia.com who convinced me to try a less drastic path to hopefully eliminate the phosphate issue while also not sacrificing the heavy bacterial colonies that were probably around (thereby creating highly bioactive base rock). Here's what I've done so far...130# of rock...

First, like you, I gave the rocks a heavy (and I mean heavy) scrubbing, with 2 heavy duty plastic brushes (one large, one small for crevices). The rock seemed near-white when I started, but I couldn't believe how filthy the water was at the end of this.

Then, I started cooking the rocks. Brute trash can, circulation, heater (high 70s F), low salinity. I put GFO and Chemi pure in as well.

After one month, I repeated the scrubbing. Again, even though transferring from clear water, filthy/dusty water.

They're going on month 2. I will get a phosphate reactor for the GFO soon, and maybe even throw a skimmer on it. I see the nitrates rising as the month goes, so I know there is heavy bio activity going on. I also recently pulled a piece out to use in a quarantine tank for new fish, took some risk as I put 5 juvi fish in after a day or two (versus monitoring for a week to make sure it was cycled and not doing crazy things to the water), but it took the bio load with no problem and the fish/tank levels are doing great.

So I'm excited to see how this cooked rock comes out in my new tank build (still a few months away)...of course this path takes a ton of patience and occasionally a lot of work...but throwing out there what I tried...

Also, I think you'll kill all bacteria if you let it dry for more than a few days (in the sun especially), so I wouldn't do that if you're going to cook it. But, if you're going to acid wash it, then there's really no point in scrubbing/bleaching/drying because the acid kills all life and burns the outermost layer of rock off, so you could just jump straight to that and start from ground zero on it.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Daverf... It's already dry, been so for about a year according to the seller, but I can see dry hair algae and other nasties in the nooks and crannies. And he sold me some he had already dipped and they were crisp white, so I know what it can look like.
Helix, thanks for the link!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it's been dry that long then sounds like a solid plan to just acid wash so you avoid the phosphate factory. I was told that a bleach step probably isn't necessary. Bleach helps ensure life /organics are killed, but an acid wash is drastic and nothing will survive or remain on the rock except possibly remnants of larger skeletons or macroalgae that will be much easier to remove.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
daverf;170470 said:
If it's been dry that long then sounds like a solid plan to just acid wash so you avoid the phosphate factory. I was told that a bleach step probably isn't necessary. Bleach helps ensure life /organics are killed, but an acid wash is drastic and nothing will survive or remain on the rock except possibly remnants of larger skeletons or macroalgae that will be much easier to remove.
That is very true, I should've mentioned that to you. I was killing rock that had pests and hitchhikers I didn't want. If it's already dry, just skip to the acid! ;)