Coral Mounting

What putty or material do you guys prefer to keep frags in place on the rock work. Also is there anything we can use that is not permanent? I am worried about leaching and mobility.

Thanks Charlie, Ill give that a run! Is there a certain type? I tried a Gorilla glue my wife bought for her crafts but it was really runny and hydrophobiaed into little spheres, I am sure it was just the wrong type.

Additionally any tips on super gluing frags/plugs would be great. I always have the worst time with glue. I am starting to think less is better and to air dry before returning in the water?

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;329340 said:
Thanks Charlie, Ill give that a run! Is there a certain type? I tried a Gorilla glue my wife bought for her crafts but it was really runny and hydrophobiaed into little spheres, I am sure it was just the wrong type.
I found a gel one at lowes

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
As long as its based on Cyanoacrylate it is fine. I use super glue gel from the dollar store its only a dollar for two small things. works well for me

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Justin144;329356 said:
As long as its based on Cyanoacrylate it is fine. I use super glue gel from the dollar store its only a dollar for two small things. works well for me
I use this as well.

I went to Lowes and got all the ones mentioned and a few others. I will test em all :) I'm glad no one recommended reef putty, I read some after that its a mixed review and def makes the skimmer work hard after. No one wants extra crap in the tank :)

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Reef putty is good for connecting rocks. I recommend doing it dry. but its a bit much for just coral mounting. glue works fine. Be sure to take the frag out of water and put a drop of glue on plug. when you put it on the rock kinda rub it around so the glue hardens. that's important. you cant really just hold it there and hope it stays kinda move it around youll feel the glue harden. GL

Justin144;329370 said:
Reef putty is good for connecting rocks. I recommend doing it dry. but its a bit much for just coral mounting. glue works fine. Be sure to take the frag out of water and put a drop of glue on plug. when you put it on the rock kinda rub it around so the glue hardens. that's important. you cant really just hold it there and hope it stays kinda move it around youll feel the glue harden. GL
Awesome, I will give this a go tonight. I have been applying and holding.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I use ultra gel super glue to glue the frags, I also use a pair of tin snips and clip of the post on the plug and then apply glue, works pretty good

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;329396 said:
Ya I use ultra gel super glue to glue the frags, I also use a pair of tin snips and clip of the post on the plug and then apply glue, works pretty good
X2

I tried loctite ultra gel and gorilla gel, both worked equally as well, better than the ecotech frag glue. The regular super glue is good too but I preferred to use it out of the water for the zoa and sps frags I made. But when placing a frag in the water the gel seemed superior, plus you can use the applicator of the loctite under water to make nifty glue "welds" underwater. Worth the extra 3 bucks if you lack gluing talent or don't want to mess around with it :) Now I have to go build a model or frag more with all this glue open!

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;329379 said:
Awesome, I will give this a go tonight. I have been applying and holding.
I have been too and have a really hard time getting things to stick.