Lighting for tank build off?

FOURSTARS

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I’m considering a light for this years tank build off. I already have a halide fixture I can use but I’m tempted to finally to try LED. My plan is to start a 40 gallon breeder SPS tank so I can spend a year growing them out and maturing rock for a future larger tank. My question is, is anyone having success with LED only tank growing SPS, I know there were some early issues with the success of these light. If you are having success what LED fixture are you running? What do you think about using a black box with maybe a defuser? Or should I just stick with halide...?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
That's a loaded question! There are some die hard MH fans out there that don't think LED's are worth anything for growth and are only good for adding color. There are also some folks that swear by LED's. I know some people will definitely chime in on this one. On a big tank I don't think there is anything like MH for growth and economical start up costs. I would need thousands of dollars of LED fixtures to light my classroom 450. For the build off though you have to consider that you only have $1000 to spend and I am not sure you want to eat that up with an LED fixture.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I would look at it like an experiment. You know that MH will get you the growth you are looking for. If you have an LED that you got for a reasonable price and want to try it out, I say go for it. If you're trying to win the contest and show what you can do go with what you know. If I participate I will probably use what I know works and what I have on hand.

FOURSTARS

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
That’s a good Point. I really was considering it as an experiment for a future larger tank. Think I’ll stick with what I know. Plus I need to conserve money for the fancy sticks. :)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
LED can grow coral. You will see that all over the place. It is true. The story does not end here. There is a ceiling with them and acropora, but not so much Montis, Birdsnets, Poci and Stylos (MBP&S) and some stags... the best setups can get to within about 75-80% of what they could with Metal Halide, but they could provide other things that you like more like thunderstorms, couch control, dimming, etc. Black boxes can do fine-to-good with acropora. I do not think that they do any better that. You hardly ever see people go beyond "LED can grow coral" and talk with any kind of nuance about how the are better than this - to the contrary, anybody who was at Dr. Joshi's MACNA talk will remember that he basically said that his Radions were not as good as his old MH, but he was keeping them since he liked other things about them.

This whole question comes down to two things, IMO. First, are you experienced enough to tell the difference in 80% tank and a 100%? If not, then don't sweat any light choice. Second, do you care? Most people cannot even tell the difference and there are some that absolutely can... and some of those that can tell do not really care.

I might use a panel-type LED for a softie, nem or LPS tank, but for my acropora there is no way... but I walk into WWC or Vivid when I am on the coasts and think to myself "these tanks are 80% of what they could be under better lights..." I can tell the difference.

FWIW - I got a MH for the contest for $62.50 (two for $125 and I only need one). Cannot even get a black box for that, but they are not much more for a decent one. 60 cube, 2x2x2 and perfect for a single 250w MH.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
For a 40 gallon breeder, you can absolutely grow SPS well with a reasonably priced LED. The black box ones can be really hit or miss and don't perform well because of shading.

If you can find a used AI SOL blue, Hydra, or kessil you can get results very similar to that of halides and some of these can be had for under $100 used. I found SOLs for my 65 build for $60 a peice and one would be sufficient for a 40b.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
FWIW - people don't suffer from shadowing with black boxes, they complain about the disc ball effect. Shading comes from the point-souce/puck LEDs like Kessil, Radion, Hydra, etc. Also, a Galaxy, Mars or other one of the "better" black boxes have much better light and success rate than a SOL or older fixture. Lenses can really matter with black boxes, so do your homework for your application. If somebody forced me to use LED over my acros, I would probably cover the whole top with some black boxes (like 20 of them) or ReefBreeders (which are just black boxes with US support and more channels) and raise them way up high (like 24-30 inches and run them at 100%) to combat the disco ball.

FOURSTARS

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Considering all the variables and the amount of fixtures required for good coverage and not much power savings. I think I'll stick with Halide. Thanks you for all the advice.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Considering all the variables and the amount of fixtures required for good coverage and not much power savings. I think I'll stick with Halide. Thanks you for all the advice.
What size halide and type of reflector will you be using?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Phoenix 14000k 250 Watt Metal Halide and a Chinese reflector I got off eBay.
I don't think you can go wrong with this light unless the heat becomes an issue. I think about switching from black box LEDs to MH everyday. Sure the wifi control via app is nice and ability to program the lighting schedule and all that. But I don't think the corals care about that. I had a 175W MH on 29 gallon reef back in the day and the corals grew way faster with that light compared to my black box LEDs.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think you can go wrong with this light unless the heat becomes an issue. I think about switching from black box LEDs to MH everyday. Sure the wifi control via app is nice and ability to program the lighting schedule and all that. But I don't think the corals care about that. I had a 175W MH on 29 gallon reef back in the day and the corals grew way faster with that light compared to my black box LEDs.
Even a full halide tank can be improved with some dimmable strips. I have never found the look of corals under halides to be pleasing, but you throw in some reefbright strips or do a MH LED hybrid then the corals actually pop and shimmer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app