Coralife 24-inch Double Lamp Fixture

Hello,

I am dusting off my old gear and was curious as to whether my Coralife double lamp fixture is still a viable lighting option. It is CFL, has an actinic bulb and a 10k white bulb. It worked well for me when I had my tank before. I was able to support two RBT anemones, frogspawn, myriad zoos, and a small brain coral. Just curious as to whether I should start with this again or find a newer type of fixture.

-Matt

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
If it works for what you want to keep, of course. Once you get back into it and you see other tanks that may change your mind. It's all how you want it to look.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
What do you want to keep if you start back up? Either way, I would say its a good starting point, while you decide what you want and/or work on a replacement

I am most likely going to try to replicate my previous tank. One or two bubble tip anemones and a handful of soft corals. I kept it in pretty good shape when I was using it so it *should* still work fine, and I would think that they still make bulbs for it. Otherwise, what are these Chinese boxes I'm hearing about?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are mostly crap. They can grow some coral at 75% of what other lights can, but that might be enough for you. You have to work with them - you just don't plug them in like the CFL fixture.

If that old fixture worked before, it will work again. I would start with it and spend your cash elsewhere if everything works out OK.

I think that's the route I may take for now as we will probably be moving in the next few years. At that point I'll look into a nice halide setup that I can permanently install.