couple HUNDRED of these popped up this past week....identify?

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Assuming they are sponges, but went on a biz trip for the week and just went down to check on the sump...they are showing up mainly where the inflow and outflow are...a couple in the frag section...but there are literally hundreds of them...assuming harmless, but even then, don't want them taking over the sump unless they filter better than the protein skimmer :wink:

View attachment 20640 View attachment 20641 View attachment 20642

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
couple HUNDRED of these popped up this past week....identify?

Looks like pineapple sponges to me. From what I've heard they show up in the first year or so of the tank and slowly dwindle from there... Not 100% on that but overall I think they're harmless

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pineapple sponge! They are harmless, but are a sign of excess nutrients, they will come and go with food supply.

FlyrodTodd

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys...excess nutrients probably...just got my turkey basters and first time I blew out all the crap out of my liverock since I started the tank...makes sense.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
FlyrodTodd;321508 said:
Thanks guys...excess nutrients probably...just got my turkey basters and first time I blew out all the crap out of my liverock since I started the tank...makes sense.
Look at it this way, your tank has created a way to help remove the nutrients.

cent36

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, I have a bunch of those that just popped up the past month too. Found them online and found that they are great filter feeders. They are in my sump. I didn't know though that they were a sign of excess nutrients. I have been doing water changes and my nitrates have been dropping and currently below 5, soooooo

anyway, I read that they can get up to a half inch or so and will die off naturally.

I just like to think that spongebob is somewhere in my sump :stoked: