Crowther's E-260

Significant progress has been made today. (See, my Introductions forum thread for what this looked like yesterday.) So, that's good. I feel like I'm we'll on my way toward getting this tank going.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed in Red Sea right now. First, it was not explained that the sump kit did not include a sump pump. So, I've got to purchase one. Second, the protein skimmer does not appear well-suited to the in-cabinet sump. The sump kit manual acknowledges this and suggests a bandaid for the problem through use of a sponge. I am not optimistic. If anyone has done this protein skimmer Jerry rigging, I'd love to chat.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Sorry about the issues with the Red Sea setup. I've never used them. The appearance of the whole setup looks great in your space there!

One word word of constructive criticism coming from a woodworker, put a blanket over your dining table before converting it into a workbench. :) It looks like a really nice piece of furniture. I'm hearing my wife's Brooklyn accent in the back of my head yelling at me as I look at the equipment laid out there.

Good luck with the build.

halmus;n668789 said:
Sorry about the issues with the Red Sea setup. I've never used them. The appearance of the whole setup looks great in your space there!

One word word of constructive criticism coming from a woodworker, put a blanket over your dining table before converting it into a workbench. :) It looks like a really nice piece of furniture. I'm hearing my wife's Brooklyn accent in the back of my head yelling at me as I look at the equipment laid out there.

Good luck with the build.
Ha. Look closely, Halmus. There's a glass top on there.

Got the rock in and started my RODI. I think I may have figured something out for the skimmer. I'll post a pic tomorrow. What do you guys think of the scape? I'm not sure I love it, but don't really know what else to do with it.

Poured the sand and added water last night. Ran into an issue with the overflow and main downpipe: had them switched accidentally by looking at the 170 diagram. So I had to take some water back out to get them in the right spots. But, it's all good now. Shrimp is in and the cycle begins. Just need my sump pump to get here.

Balz3352;668877 said:
Id get some cheato in there when you can. I believe it helps cycle and gets a hold of nitrates phosphates quicker imo. Otherwise looks great.
On the chaeto, would you just throw it in the display and then toss it later? I don't really have space in my sump for a fuge.

Balz3352;668880 said:
Shoot. No thought they made a little space for a fuge in the sump
If my protein skimmer wasn't in there, it would have a nice little spot for one. But, I'm thinking the skimmer would try to eat chaeto.

Thanks to neil82 for the scoop of live sand. With luck, some of his tank's infauna will start colonizing my tank shortly and speed the cycle up. Waiting for the tank to cycle is much more difficult than I had anticipated.

The Jerry rigged protein skimmer is in. Initially, it was tipping over every time I turned it on because the pump would slide up into the chamber with the added weight of pumped water. I was able to use the spare suction cup feet from my new sump to solve that problem by allowing the pump to fully slide into the chamber and remain flush with the base. Still noisier than I would like, but it functions.