Crusty Sand

I've started to dos 2-part to stabilize my system and in the process my sand has clumped. I've read a few different theories and i believe it's harmless however i don't like the way it looks and would like to know what you do with clumped sand.

I have fine sand it basically looks like a crust has formed on it. I just used my tongs to break it up.

Also thinking about a jawfish. I'm hesitant to add sand sifter fish because of the fine sand it it get's picked up in the current and clouds the water. It happens now when my clown makes her nest.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Find a way to more evenly and consistently replace your big-3 and it will not clump anymore. Until then, just keep breaking it up.

jda123;n664259 said:
Find a way to more evenly and consistently replace your big-3 and it will not clump anymore. Until then, just keep breaking it up.
I realized the air bubbles in my dosing lines is not suppose to be there so I have bigger issues. I've contacted Neptune and they already sent me back a list of trouble shooting things i can do so the air won't release the siphon. Fun with Tanks!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
How quickly are you dosing and how much? Doing it more slowly over the course of the entire day will help the clumping go away. Program your dosing pumps to dose a little every hour into a fast flowing area so it mixes. Keep the calcium line away from the alk line (different parts of the sump) if you can. And yes break up the sand and get a stirring animal or 2. What size is your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
6check;n664256 said:
Randel's Gobi and a pistol shrimp? Which is the best shrimp species? Saw a lemon shimp recently would that work?
I love my Yellow Watchman/shrimp pair, but they stir up maybe 5% of the sand in my tank.

I have a 8 year old, at least that's how long I have had him, Hawkish that patrols the reef an has beat up his share of other creatures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a 50 cube, I'm dosing each part separately for 11.5 hrs each.

Apex support has given me some info to fIX the syphon break. I'll let you know if it works.