Current Nova Extreme T5 mod

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a T5 fixture and threw some new lights on it. Fist day I noticed the fixture was really hot. Did a little research and decided to flip the can around. The middle and the label side of the fixture is a lot cooler than the day before. However the other side is still hot.

I was thinking of putting another fan on it. Any one have thoughts, opinions or experience with this type of situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Not with that mod per-say, but t5s do best if you keep a fan on both ends and the middle if possible. I you add one to an end then it will only cool that end, and the bulbs heat unevenly which can reduce their life span. My Current Nova fixture, only had one fan on an end and would run hot the same way, I tried tinkering with it but in the end I opted for replacing the fixture with a retro fit T5 set instead, and I added 3 PC fans to my canopy to ensure proper cooling

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have a canopy yet but that seems like a good option to install fans on the canopy. I was thinking of doing two PC fans on each end. By doing that would it still cool unevenly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
The end are where most of the heat comes from and cooling both ends will help considerably. I do a third in the mid, that is blowing an opposite direction to ensure that the whole bulb gets well ventilated, but the middle one is not required and doesnt have quite as much of an effect as one on each end. That being said though, they draw so little power, so the more the merrier imo

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I agree adding the PC fans def is the way to go if you're planning to keep that light and keep it out of a canopy.