Custom DIY Lights - complete kit for the tinkerer - $250

Pseudorand

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ever wanted to know how those pricey lights work? Ever wanted to build your own, make them work just how you want them, experiment to your heart's content. This is your chance to get an already-built complete DIY LED setup. Take it apart. Put it back together. Light that tank.

I built these lights from parts. They ran my 120g tank for almost 7 years without issue, with amazing coral growth. But fair warning, they're not for the faint of heart. The controller is a raspberry pi running custom python code (because I could never get reefpi working). If you don't know what a raspberry pi, python or ssh is, you should either be ready to learn a lot on your own or pass on this one.

Included:
* Lights (2 count) - MakersLED heat syncs (2'x6.5"x3") with 2 fans and 2 CREE Lumia 5.2 70W LED arrays (5 channels, full spectrum) and optics (2 Lumias per PSU for 4 total -- that's 280W of LED [up to, they're dimmable]). Everything is already mounted and wired. There's physical space for more LEDs on the heat syncs, but you'll have to double check if they're rated to dissipate enough heat as you add more.
* Power Supply - 1 project box with 2 AC/DC PSUs.
* Controller - Raspberry Pi wired to appropriate electronics mounted in a project box. WARNING: These are *not* designed to work with an Apex or any other off-the-shelf aquarium controller and I have no idea if it would be possible to convert them.
* Wires and such - 2 standard A/C computer power cables, DC power from the PSU to the lights, 2 standard CAT-5 cables from the raspberry Pi (one to each light) to carry the on/off/intensity signals to each channel of the lights, return power cable from PI to PSU to complete the circuit
* Spare Raspberry Pi and various raspberry pi development stuff (breadboard, wires, etc.)

I can give the buyer a very brief demo and explanation, but I'm getting out of the hobby and I don't remember a lot of it (it was 7 years ago).

If you're curious and brave enough, come give it a try.

Attachments