Danger Will Robinson! GAC causing HLLE??

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Very possible. I know HLLE does not occur in the wild and therfor something were adding to our tanks is causing it. I do have to say this though, I have won 2 battles with HLLE, both fish were in real bad condition when I got them and were in much better condition when I let them go, I run carbon religously and never stopped my carbon regiment while treating either fish so I am very scepticle (sp?) about this being the cause, but thats just my opinion.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Danger Will Robinson! GAC causing HLLE??

I thought this was debunked already?

I run BRS Rox, haven't seen any issues with any tang (sohol, sailfin, vlamingii)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
IMO and IME it is. To me HLLE has nothing more to do with anything other than water quality.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif, do you use pelleted carbon? Guess the moral of the story is that lower grade carbon (and especially dust) can possibly have an adverse impact on the fish?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Both. I run a reactor with pellets and use the smaller micron stuff in re fillable silk bags (or whatever the hell they are) in my sump. I dont think it has to do with the quality or size of the carbon so much as it does with keeping your carbon clean. I change my carbon almost bi weekly if possible and if I cant change it that frequently than I dont run it.
Keep in mind that the ocean does not run carbon, thus in turn carbon can be the factor, based on th fact that this is something we are adding to the hobby that is not naturally present in the wild. Again, HLLE does not occur in the wild, its something were doing in the hobby that causes this.

I can tell you this, if you keep your water, filter pads and all media clean at all times, youll likely not ever have any problems with HLLE. My tank is tang dominent and other than the couple resuces I have taken in I have never had any of my fish contract HLLE, and I run carbon like a 1980s credit card machine! LOL

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, great way to sum it up ReefCheif. Thanks for that insight. So whether you're using GAC or not, there is a bigger chance that your fish aren't healthy if you don't maintain the tank water. Makes total sense.

I guess I still find the whole bit about fish micro lesions the most interesting in the study - even more interesting than the suspected HLLE linkage. Maybe a fish only tank that follows good husbandry won't have anything to gain by running carbon? My source water passes two carbon blocks - first my whole house filter, second in my Coralife RO unit. I wonder if running carbon in my tank adds any benefit (unless removing meds or known compounds from the water column).

I can see the value of carbon in a reef tank, though...in the need to regularly adsorb due to the more complex tank chemistry, at the expense of possible slight health consequences for the fish...hm...

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
FWIW if anyone comes across this thread, running carbon in a tank has pros that far outweigh any cons. Some controversy on that based on the study, but I found enough other articles/opinions out there (after this study) that state its benefit, in any tank...

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was running carbon for some time not knowing the affects it would cause w Hlle only on my hippo tang, heard they are prone to getting Hlle from carbon. So stopped for awhile and he is getting better!

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
+1 to this same thing. I stopped running carbon and saw almost an immediate improvement. I am now feeding heavy with vita chem and garlic additives soaked in the food. Seems to be getting better.

The only negative I saw from running the carbon was with the hippo tang.

I've always associated HLLE to diet and water quality, especially with nitrate issues! Although many people confuse charcoal as carbon. I've found that charcoal can release phosphate and nitrate into the water which may cause HLLE when using it. Good grades of carbon will not do this! I generally have between 12 to 20 tangs at a time and have been using a high quality CARBON since 1983 with no problem with HLLE. I also feed a very good diet and LOTS and LOTS of garlic soaked foods! Also I recently read an article about the possibility of electrical current from static or small electical drain from "pumps" may also be responsible for HLLE.