1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Dark question, fish euthanasia

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Sep 14, 2020 at 1:41 PM.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Thankfully in this case it isn't for my SW fish, but for at least one of my pond goldfish. It has a bad case of dropsy, it's belly is the size of a tennis ball. All of the info I have read said if not caught early, the damage is irreversible. So rather than let it suffer, I started thinking about euthanizing it. There are so many methods online, that seem to get pretty crazy. Freezing it, cutting head off, bashing head, I saw one that said put in bag and drive over it with your car. Clove oil, alka seltzer, letting nature take it's course, etc, etc.

I just wondered if there was a preferred method? The affected fish is in the 6 to 8 inch range.

2. SynDen

SynDen Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

I've only used clove oil before, worked well for me. Only ever had to do that once before though for a large catfish I used to have, but went painlessly from what I recall

Cherub and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Bag and freeze

JuanGutz and ianryd like this.
  4. Kayvon

Kayvon Copepod

I've used the alka seltzer method. Heard it might not be the most humane method though.

5. Ambrosio Aquatics

Ambrosio Aquatics Tuna Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Clove oil is what i have seen most commonly used. i think dr q(the koi vet) uses clove oil. i have also see the cold water method you basically but the fish in a container and add cold water or ice to drop the temp but probably wouldn't work to well with a cold water fish