DBTC question

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a question based on Bushes DBTC. I don't know the history of it or if he even got it from MASC but I will ask anyway for my curiosity. Seeing Bush post on here to DBTC but he gave them away on another site and considers it complete. Is that considered fulfilled to the MASC DBTC program? I always thought a MASC DBTC would go to MASC members... Doesn't seem legitimate IMO if the frag came from this site but again I don't know the history or who he got it from nor do I really care. I am just curious...

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
nah says "DBTC payback" I can only assume he was completing. My question was more general anyway, not trying to pick on Bush or anything. Just had an example when I seen it.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The soul purpose of dbtc is to spread the coral to Another person just so we help reserve the corals in the ocean. Is this correct or not? Because this is what I got from it...

sent from my EVO eater

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
It doesn't state anywhere that it had to be given away here, unless I missed that part. Most people I know and end up passing the DBTC to are members on here and SCMAS. I have no problem coming up to Denver to get they dbtc but noone ever wants to drive to southern springs to pick up. Not even monument. You Denver Guys gave all the corals up here..lol, with my williness to come get them at least I get to spread the wealth down here a little. But again if I'm wrong please let me know

Last edited by a moderator:

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There are very few rules associated with the DBTC program... And from what I've seen Bush followed them all. The coral in question was Bushes to do with what he pleased. I think since it got forwarded to someone in the region, it was a successful payback, even if it didnt go to a MASC club member.

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Btw-
bush was not the only one doing this. They're are several people that have done this. in my experience bush is a golden member to the masc and scmas forums. ;)

sent from my EVO eater

reefmaster719

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
At least you were nice about it and not calling people out like a few people I won't name.
Glad you brought this to attention.

sent from my EVO eater

when I offer a dbtc i have no problem if the person recieving it passes it on to anyone regardless of if they are members of any forum. I have given and received dbtc from ppl in the Springs, Denver, Castle Rock, Aurora, Littleton, Pueblo pretty much all over. It would be to complicated for me to keep track what area or club a coral came from and ensure only like members get them. That being said I have bought/sold/traded/received dbts's/given dbtc's from bush and he is a great guy to trade and talk tanks with, great guy and reefer. I also think this is a good question and am just offering my 2 cents and how I expect ppl to pay forward dbtc's from me which are usually on the scmas board because I would think ppl would not want to come to the springs but maybe in the future I will post them here too just in case.

I don't think the OP sounded like he was attacking anyone, or aggressively asking the question, but it is a good question. I was a little confused with this concept when I joined, however I had some great guys here on this forum explain and introduce me to this. Below is the original post from the MASC Forum on DBTC Intructions. Certainly he is helping to "spread coral species thoughout the region" (to other hobbyist reefkeepers and not for profit to stores, farmers, wholesalers, etc) and secondly is doing everything he can to "lessen the impact of taking corals from the oceans". Wasn't my DBTC to begin with, but I would call it complete because he paid it forward, abiding by every basic fundemental idea in the spirit of DBTC.

I still don't get it. Why do we have this?
The idea behind it is to help spread coral species throughout the region. This will hopefully lessen the impact of taking corals from the oceans, as well as help spread diversity throughout the area. The idea was a way to push a non-greedy method of helping get corals out there to people. If you can get a coral fragment from a local farmer, that means less of an impact on the oceans. A great many of the "abundant" corals are not in any way marine/aqua cultured since it's still profitable to hack them out of the seas.

bush8984

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I've an idea......let's all just join both sites and cut everything up and happily give it away..lol

I enjoy dbtc'ing and trading corals....hell of alot cheaper that buying. :D

If I could, I'd drive up there as often as ppl wanted stuff, BUT I can't afford that much pizza from Pasquini's to bride the wife everytime HAHA!!