Didn't realize six lines were this aggressive...

I picked up my six line from a fellow reefer here last fall and he has been working out great, one of my favorite fish. When I added him, I had a yellow coris wrasse already in the tank and they always left each other alone, never fought once. After being in my tank for over a year, one night the coris decided he wanted to get a taste of the air out there. Found him dried up on the carpet behind the tank. Bummer.

So I'm buying dog food at Petco and they carry some saltwater livestock(unfortunately), and I figured in the spirit of my old coris, I would rescue this one! Being at least 2'', there's nothing in my tank that would harm him. I acclimate him and introduce him, and he expectedly went down into the sand and buried himself with one eye sticking out. This is typical of the species, especially when new so no surprise there.

After a couple of hours, I'm watching TV in my living room. My tank is right behind me and I hear this sound... *PLOP*.... *PLOP*. I look back and the coris is bobbing on the surface, struggling. Right when I stood up to investigate, the six line comes blazing up from underneath and rips him a new one, probably for the 10th time. I got him out with my net while he was dazed and I have him in the fuge now. Bummer.

Just no luck with these guys I think. He may be up for adoption soon, poor little dude's a little scratched, but not that bad. Glad I was in the room.

Guess I should have maybe seen that coming, huh?:(

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
They're supposed to be extremely mean to other wrasses. He probably left the first one alone since he was the new comer.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
Denvercherub;89568 said:
They're supposed to be extremely mean to other wrasses. He probably left the first one alone since he was the new comer.
Ya what I was thinking. Wrasses deff don't like another.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If possible sometime rearranging the tank will help. then it is new to the sixline as well

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
ChrisB;89572 said:
Ya what I was thinking. Wrasses deff don't like another.
I think it's that way with most species. If they see similar fish then they assume they will take all their food. I read that somewhere anyway.

gh0st

Cleaner Shrimp
Six Lines can be a handful!

But in their favor, they are jaw dropping when healthy and thriving. Incredible coloration and pattern, great coral pest and bristleworm control, occasional fish parasite cleaning, not shy in the least, and hardy as an ox.

It's pretty much a dream list of tank inhabitant qualifications, unless docile or rare/unusual need to be a priority.

A tank with a bunch of damsels,a clownfish, a six line wrasse, a blenny, and a nice looking basslet/psuedochromis with some invert support staff makes a dynamic, colorful, and very easy to mantain reef.