Dipping coral

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So we all know to dip the coral with Coral Rx or some other remedy we prefer, others probably do the iodine dip instead. Has anyone ever tested doing the iodine dip with any other dips as well? Just curious because I lost a mushroom due to brown jelly disease and **** gets on my nerves.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Several of us use multiple things to dip with. Iodine not always the best option though. Think you would be better off with Bayer and Coral rx as two seprate dips. A few clubbers around here use a very stringent regiment of many multiple different dips. I believe Chad aka CRW uses like a 10 step dipping process that includes bayer, coral rx and a few others, maybe he will chime in here.

Irishman;368830 said:
So we all know to dip the coral with Coral Rx or some other remedy we prefer, others probably do the iodine dip instead. Has anyone ever tested doing the iodine dip with any other dips as well? Just curious because I lost a mushroom due to brown jelly disease and **** gets on my nerves.
I've had B jelly kill a birdsnest nearly overnight. I dosed some iodine but without knowing what the levels are was probably a mute point. Never had it again. Here's a pic when it was thriving.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
My dip sequence: First dip is Bayer, (i'll try to find the dosing mix post that I did a while back (my mix and duration is kind of off the cuff)), then I do a saltwater dip for about a minute. At this point, I look for eggs!!! If there are eggs, there is a whole new set of steps, but that's mostly scrubbing, and quarantine, and re-dip in Bayer until no eggs, and then quarantine some more. If there are no eggs, I do the next dip in ReVive for about 5 minutes, and then another minute in fresh saltwater. My last dip is an Iodine dip. I do the iodine last as it has a disinfecting, kind of healing property about it. Then the last rinse in saltwater before it goes into the tank. Doesn't matter who I got the frag from! Everyone has their own method, and not all dips kill the same bugs, but that's what I "currently" do.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
From last years DBTC Meeting post:

FishTV;348236 said:
We will have both Bayer Insecticide and Revive Coral Cleaner available at the meeting if you don't already have these. Below are instructions for there use.

ReVive: (from the label):
Directions: Mix 4 capfuls of Revive per gallon of clean, aged seawater at room temperature in a bucket or other container suitable for bathing the coral. Bathe coral in this mixture for at least a few minutes, up to 15 minutes, while gently swirling it or using an air stone for agitation. After the bath, remove coral from the mixture and place it in a saltwater aquarium with moderate water flow. The mix may be discarded, or it may be used for cleaning other corals. Discard the used mix after 1 hour.

* note * I generally rinse in clean (untreated) tank water before returning to my tank.

Bayer Insecticide: (this is more of a home remedy that has been used in the hobby for quite some time)
I'm going to provide links from a couple sources as I take no responsibility for its use, or dose (and I'm sure neither does Bayer)
Cherry Corals: http://www.cherrycorals.com/news/coraldips/
Murfreesboro Aquatics: http://boroaquatics.com/blogs/articles/17033867-proper-dipping-of-corals-the-bayer-method

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Isn't the Bayer/Revive found like at home depot for like an insect killer for weeds?

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;369099 said:
Isn't the Bayer/Revive found like at home depot for like an insect killer for weeds?
Bayer yes, Revive is made by Two Little Fishies, and is available from your local MASC Sponsors :) And for those of us in Brighton, usually means Amazon (not a sponsor).

Bayer dip 2-10 ml. In one cup saltwater. Let it sit for minutes and blow with a turkey blaster every 5 minutes or so. Be careful which Bayer insect killer you buy because some are not safe for dipping.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol yea we have a loop of fish stores we visit every weekend. Starting with Aquatic and going up north to either Elite or Liquid as our last stop.

I would love to open a salt water store up here in the north east area but not too sure if there is a market for it up here.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I will stick with CoralRx, has been doing really good for me for the most part. I was just curious if anyone has combined the two at once.