Disappearing clownfish

In the past week I've had two clownfish disappear. I've got an emerald crab and several hermits. I really didn't think they were fast enough to grab a fish, but something is definitely eating them since no bodies have turned up. Anyone have any advice, suggestions, or similar experiences?

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
how long has your tank been up and running? I'm wondering if you've got an overgrown bristleworm (or something similar) that's eating them.
Also, check your fuge, in case they went down the slip n slide. That happens sometimes. As does carpet surfing.

I've checked the carpet, or inside the canopy rather. And the back of my overflow has a sponge so that fish can't get sucked into the sump. The tank has been going for well over a year but has been in my possession for about a month, so I guess bristle worm could be a possibility?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How big is the tank? I've had this happen with my 200g. One day there happy and health and the next day vanished without a trace. Did you use live rock that might have had a nasty hitchhikers? I think the bigger the tank the easier for the fish corpse to be hidden by the rock work.

Honestly I think this just happens and most likely the fish is decomposing under a rock or the crabs in the tank make a lot quicker work of things than we think some times.
I also had a wrasse once disappear for an entire month after being out and active. I though gonna for sure then one day there he was!. Doubtful this is case with you clowns just saying.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ah well should be easier to find then. Get yourself a red led flashlight and maybe camp out for a few nights and see if you see anyting nasty come out after lights out?

I spent about 45 minutes looking for any nasty nocturnal critters. I saw a few bristle worms but none wider than 2 mm. Also discovered I have a much bigger pod population than I thought. I'm still thinking the emerald crab might be the culprit. I know they're supposed to be herbivores but I have very little algae in my DT so I think he's just been picking off fish at night. Either way he's being exiled to the sump. I caught him ripping a piece off of a monti today anyway.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
From my experience;
Have you checked inside your overflow?
Do you have any dogs or cats?
Have you taken apart your plumbing and checked in the bends at all?
I doubt the Emerald crab made that quick of work of your fish. Have you moved the live rock or had any shift? I had a yellow goby that got stuck when the rocks shifted on top of it.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Disappearing clownfish

Btw, have you tested your params yet? Do you test weekly? If the fish are decomposing your tests should show you that.

I've checked my overflow and there's no way for fish to get sucked down to the sump because I have a sponge in the backside of the overflow. I check params pretty frequently. Most times twice a week. This morning I got

Nitrate >0 -

None of the rock has shifted that I've noticed. I haven't moved any rocks either. I do have dogs and cats, but my canopy would contain any jumpers so I don't feel like they hopped out.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'd be concerned that the anemone getting sucked into the pump may be one of the major problems going on here. If you've got somewhere between 1 and 3 fish missing and presumed in the tank decomposing you are going to run into problems.

It may be time to pull out your rock and find those bodies. I'd almost be willing to do a massive water change, maybe pull out what rock you can and scrub it all, and put it back.

I got another clownfish he paired nicely with the one I still had. The watchman turned up. He just got really skiddish suddenly and I almost never see him now but he's there.