1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Diy roller mat filter

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Projects' started by Balz3352, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Hated changing filter socks and didn't regularly and I think my tank suffered so I made this roller mat filter. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Nice job!

Balz3352 likes this.
  3. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Cool! Great idea.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

Balz3352 likes this.
  4. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

This is something that someone could do without the automation too. Turning a knob manually would still be easier than cleaning a filter sock.

5. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Well done, RJ

Balz3352 likes this.
  6. Balz3352

Literally what I did at first. Now apex is turning pump on and off. Basically a glorified timer. Didn't want to try to figure out how to do a float valve and all that jazz

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  7. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

That is awesome. I want one

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. Cake_Boss

Cake_Boss Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Good work. Any video of it changing to a new section?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

9. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Really cool to see your idea come to fruition. Nice work!

Balz3352 likes this.
  10. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Are you using filter media from one of existing roller mats or did you find a cheaper source.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. Balz3352

Coolant filter paper off of eBay. 150 yards of 10" 40 or 50 micron (I don't remember which one) for like $35 shipped

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  12. Balz3352

Umm sure might be hard to get one but I'll try.

13. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Nice work RJ. Great idea!
    What motor did you use?
    Thinking about the float valve and I think it would be pretty easy to add that. You could use one of these
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/deluxe-madison-horizontal-mount-float-switch.html and wire directly to an apex breakout box. Then all you gotta do is set a virtual outlet for the switch to tell the apex to turn on the motor on when the switch is tripped.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  14. Balz3352

Motor DGM-0043-2A

Yeah I may add a float switch in the future

SynDen likes this.