djkms Ocean Adventure (detail, picture intensive)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello all, figured it was about time for me to post my build thread. I will probably be way to descriptive but thats just how I roll so here it goes!

125 gallon Oceanic Aquarium, stand, GSM-1X skimmer and Amiracle wet/dry purchased 08/2009 from Craigslist for $300

Sat around and collected dust for 1 year.

08/15/2010
Painted the stand with 2 coats of black gloss enamel and 2 coats of Spar Varnish

08/25/2010
Ordered 40lbs Fiji Premium live rock from Live Aquaria
40lbs of Fiji Dry rock & 40lbs of Eco Rock from Bulk Reef Supply
80lbs of Super Reef Substrate by Caribsea, ordered from Marine Depot
5 Stage RO/DI unit by Bulk Reef Supply

I decided to go with this substrate because it seemed to be the most compatible for burrowing animals, jawfish, etc.
Super Reef by Caribsea

09/01/2010
Purchased LifeReef Dual Prefliter
Purchased ADHI 30 Sump/Refugium

09/03/2010
Filled tank and started the cycle with the live rock. Only strip lights at this point. ADHI with Mag18 for filtration. Didn't have a pump for the skimmer so I ran skimmerless during the cycle.

09/05/2010
Ammonia Peaked at 8

09/07/2010
Nitrite Peaked at 6

09/14/2010
Cycle complete Ammonia/Nitrite 0 - Nitrate 30

09/15/2010
Impatience took the best of me, bought 2 False Percula's from Aquamart. Drip acclimated them for 1 hour then released.

Last edited by a moderator:

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
10/01/2010
Huge Equipment purchase from Marine Depot
JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller DBM-250 1/3HP
EcoTech Marine VorTech Propeller Pumps w/ Wireless EcoSmart Drivers (2xMP40W Units) + Battery Backup (1xUnit)
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155
Reef Gently AccliMate Acclimator / Transporter Tank
Neptune Systems AquaController Apex Base Unit w/ Standard Grade pH Probe
Neptune Systems Apex Wireless Expansion Expansion Module (WXM)
Neptune Systems Energy Bar 8 Expansion Unit
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 9.5 950 GPH Water Pump
SpectraPure® LiterMeter 3
SpectraPure® LiterMeter 3 Water Exchange Module (LM3-WXM)

I was not really happy with the fuge/sump and was also in the market for a better protein skimmer. All the protein skimmers I looked at required a water level of 6-8". The ADHI has a 12" baffle for the skimmer compartment so along with a new skimmer I was now looking for a new sump. I almost bought a bubble king but decided to go with Lifereef instead. The replacement pump for a BK is around $450!! I wanted a skimmer that was pretty much set and forget and I have always like Lifereefs products.

So my order from Lifereef consisted of
[SIZE=-1]LF1-150S Sump/skimmer combo
20" Lifereefugium
LCR2 Calcium Reactor
3 Filter Cylinders

I hooked up the external pump to the system and ended up flooding the house 2 times. The pump was super high pressure and was just too much flow for what I needed and I hard a hard time getting it in my stand since the sump/fuge took up most of the room. So now I have my old Mag18 as my return line.

[/SIZE]

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For the last month or so I have been doing the normal algae battle. Diatoms, hair and bryopsis

After hooking up my GFO reactor, getting my new lights up and adding more to my cleanup crew the algae has subsided quite a bit.

I also purchased some Shelf Rock from bulk reef supply and have rearranged my rock a few times. Here is the rock and a couple of current FTS

Anyways, tank is doing good. So far I have a ton of snails, 2 false percula's, a fire shrimp and a torch coral

Tank Parameters:

SG 1.025/PH 8.20avg/Temp 79avg/Ammonia/trite 0/NO3 1/KH 9/CA 450/MG 1300/PO4 .10

Maintenance / Testing / Logging:

I use a software called aquarium log to track everything. It tracks my monthly electricity cost for the tank, testing data, livestock data, overall cost data (Scary!), pictures, journal, etc.

I test Salinity once a day (I do this to make sure my top off/water change modules are not acting up) with a Hanna digital refractometer and calibrate it once a week with 35ppt solution. I test weekly for Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/Calcium/Magnesium/Phosphate/dKH

Scheduled to change carbon once a month, GFO every 2 months, clean pumps every 3

I lightly feed my clowns spectrum pellets daily and the shrimp runs around grabbing the pellets they miss. I also feed Mysis once in a while.

My pod collection seems to be dwindling away so soon i will start harvesting phytoplankon with 2 liters. I have phytomax from kent marine and that doesnt seem to be doing crap but adding nutrients to my tank.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still putting the posts together guys, sorry. I used Caribsea Super Reef substrate, initial post edited.

Camera died so I cant get pictures off of it for a bit...will update as soon as I get some juice!

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree....I'd rather build a stand for my skimmer and have the extra volume. Plus, if you upgrade skimmers and it needs to be deeper, you can just remove the stand.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
WrasseAttack;58659 said:
Looks great. I love those Lifereef sumps they appeal to the geek in me.
One of the reasons I went with lifereef among others.

rockys_pride;58666 said:
That is one hefty MarineDepot bill. If the baffle is at 12", and the skimmer needs 6-8" what's the issue? Space permitting you could build a 4-6" stand for it.
The issue for me was I dont really have the room underneath my stand to build a stand for a skimmer.
I purchased other things as well from Marine Depot. Bill was $3914.59

michael.lemke;58657 said:
Did you paint the tank as well? It looks black now
I taped on a black background before filling the tank, works great!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
you already have a better set up than me, I don't think I've dropped anywhere near that amount in all my gathering. What do you use to ramp up/down the LEDs?

One more thing, what are using the chiller for? Does your house get really hot?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;58696 said:
I spare no expense for my clownfish!
jeez i hate to seethe size of you wife's rock ...can she even lift her hand ...lol