djkms Ocean Adventure (detail, picture intensive)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its growing. Rather slow though. It has maybe doubled in size since I got it, which is honestly not a lot considering it size. I might have enough to frag out a couple pieces by mid summer.

And here it is zoomed out, next to zoas for size reference:

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well its been a while since I updated this thread so here it goes. I decided to stop vodka dosing and just do vinegar. Still battling cyano almost 2 years into this system. Its not terribly bad but I still have to do a 3 days lights out every couple of months to keep it in check. Hopefully that works. I also stopped feeding Rods food in hopes that will also stop small particles of food from settling on the rocks for cyano to consume.

I dropped my Marine Magic dosing pump in the sump like a idiot a few months back so I have been manually dosing vodka/vinegar up until about 2 weeks ago when I got another pump.

It also seems I have been drinking the Seachem Koolaid lately. Everyone just raves about Salinity salt so I picked up a bucket and will see how I like it. The parameters on the bucket are spot on with my current numbers so no adjustments will be needed with my dosing regime! I also just picked up Aquavitro Fuel. I read a few threads online of people actually seeing better color and increased growth with their corals since dosing it. I also like the fact that Seachem actually lists their products ingredients on the bottle :)

I currently have the vinegar and Fuel on my Marine Magic dosing pump. Currently dosing 48ml of vinegar per day spread out in 4ml doses 12 times a day. Also only doing 1/2 the recommended dose of Fuel at 5ml per day, which does 1ml doses 5 times per day.

I also switched from using a kalk reactor to doing 2 part. The kalk was not keeping up with my tank needs anymore and to be honest I didnt feel like messing with my CA Reactor again so 2 part it is!

Anyways here is a pic of my dosing pump and additives along with a angled view of my tank as of today. Enjoy!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had to tear apart my reef and get the regal out. Finally got one into the reef and after about 2 weeks it started going to town on my zoa collection. Sad day for sure but now its at the shop so I see it all the time!

Anyways I decided to redo my rocks a bit. I didnt want to disturb it too much but I was not fond of the middle of the tank. So I basically took out the middle and I am pretty pleased. Still want to eventually get rid of more shelf pieces and rerock a bit. Anyways I now have 0 macros in my display, I want to concentrate on more SPS and get a acan collection going :)

Here is the look of the new rockwork:

O and I got a black overflow now, the clear one was just disgusting and not easy to clean. Black blends in much better now anyways!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice. Can't wait to buy something from you and come see your amazing setup.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I keep threatening, but haven't made it over yet. I'll take you up on that offer though once I get my tank back in line. Gotta start dosing mag to begin with and maybe a bit more. I'll let you know when it's stable again. Guess it was just inevitable since I started adding more SPS.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great tank!!
Can you please share the stocklist of fish

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Current fish list:
Flame Angel
Bellus Angel
Pygmy Angel
Copperband Butterfly
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Blue Tang
Cleaner Wrasse
Vroliks Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Marine Betta
Diamond Goby
Bangaii Cardinal
Green Mandarin
2 False Perculas

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Love this tank, glad I had the chance to see it in person. The new scape looks great and can't wait to see it full of sps. Great job Kris.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had the copperband around 3 months maybe? Cant remember the exact date I got him. The CBB has not touched anything including my coco worm. It did finish off 4 aiptasia I had though :)

Michael its been a slow process. I picked up a huge frag pack on RC about 4 months ago. Problem is I cant keep my damn hands out of the tank! I have had to tear apart my tank 2 times since getting the pack (once to get out my Idol and another time to get out a Regal angel) so with all the disturbances they are growing rather slow. Hopefully I can just leave everything alone for a while so they can start growing faster. I have some real gems in there, strawberry shortcake, strawberry lemonade acro, red dragon acro, etc.

Thanks for the compliments though everyone!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unreal! Amazing display.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a quick update. We are moving out of our apartment this weekend and getting a bigger place. We were just going to stick it out another year in our apartment now and have even more for a down payment on a house next year but they raised our rent in our current place by $125 per month. Needless to say we had to rush to get another place because im not paying these clowns $125 more a month. So we scrambled and found a 2 bedroom place close to the shop (Premier). Problem is our new place wont be ready until September 20th.

We will be breaking down my tank this weekend and setting it back up at the shop. It will be there probably a month until we get settled into our new place. Now I will not be setting back up my 125. Instead I will be setting a brand spanking new 225 from Deep Sea Aquatics (same guys who use to be a part of Oceanic!). Dimensions are 72x27x27. These guys make one hell of a tank and their craftsmanship is second to none. We use them for every new custom account we do.

Not only will my aquarium change, so has my lighting. I have been running LED's for a little over a year and a half and the novelty has worn off. LED's can in fact grow corals but in all honesty I am not that impressed with coloration, especially in SPS. Also, it has been my experience that corals tend to be more forgiving and recover faster should something go wrong under T5's and Halides, mainly in regards to chemistry. Don't get me wrong, LED's have their purpose here in the hobby and have many advantages like ramping, electricity savings, bulb savings etc. For me though, its not worth sacrificing some coloration and growth rate that Haldies can provide. Anyways I will be running 3 Radium 250's on Galaxy select-a-watt ballasts (encase I want to upgrade to 400 watters) and 8 36" Giesemann T5's (2 aqua blue plus, 2 actinic plus, 2 aqua pinks and 2 pure actinics).

I am also contemplating ditching all my macros. I have been battling cyano pretty much since I started my 125. Reason being I believe is because I always keep measurable nutrients in my system to keep my macros alive. I might keep them in a separate system though since they are a good money maker for me on Reef Central.

I am looking forward to the transition into a bigger tank though!!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow sucks about the prompt move but super awesome to hear about a Tank upgrade bro!!!! That will be a great sized Tank for sure!!!! I look forward to watching that tank build!