Do I need better lights?

Nitzanah

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi everyone. I have the Nuvo 16g with two 8watt led lights
i would like to upgrade to a better light system so that I can have the sunrise/sunset effects and other benefits but I am working on my tank based on things I NEED first. With that being said, my coral is
living but not thriving. I got the GSP about 3 months ago and it hasn't grown larger than the frag piece it came on. Same thing for my zoas. My fungia is fading, as is my Gumdrop chalice.

I recently had a problem with really dkh (13-15) and found it was from a bad bag of salt. This was about a week ago and has since been fixed. My water parameters are
ph. 8.4
amm 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
phos 0
Calc 420-440

So my question is would the stock lights be causing the fading and lack of growth?
Should I upgrade? I'm considering the razor nano 60watt but I am looking for NEED vs want.
Also any suggestions on place,met, setup, etc are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Talk to that guy in Fort Collins that has the Maxspec razor nano for sale. That would be a good light for that tank.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
sethsolomon;331490 said:
Talk to that guy in Fort Collins that has the Maxspec razor nano for sale. That would be a good light for that tank.
+1 that is an awesome light and would give you all the options that you are looking for, plus you would be able to grow anything with it. But ya the stock light on that thing is likely the cause for the fading colors and lack of growth and you would be well served to go with an upgrade.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is your Salinity and Magnesium at? That can cause issues too if they aren't in the right range.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the 24" innovative marine lights on my 16 and had no problems growing anything (basically like double the lights you have now). They have 3 outlets 1 for whites 1 for blues and 1 for moons. I had them set to turn blues on then whites come on mid day then turn off and go back to blues...felt like a "sunrise" and "sunset". However no true ramp up/ ramp down.

I see someone selling one on craigs for pretty cheap.
http://denver.craigslist.org/for/4680687729.html

Make sure you test the lights, the first version of those had some issues with the control on the side controlling the dimming/turning on and off.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is not a ULNS. Most people should shoot for near zero with N and P - this is what is in the ocean. At near-zero there is plenty for the organisms to eat and use. ULNS is when people use organic carbon to drive their nutrients so low that coral and inverts starve - you are are not using biopellets, vodka, sugar, ethanol or the like, then you are not at any risk for having a ULNS system.

Nitzanah

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do I need better lights?

I have a protein skimmer but no carbon source. I'm currently using API...I know...get a better kit!

I have 3 fish and I feed them pemysis 3 times a week.

My purple fungia has faded. My torch coral isn't as vibrant green any more. I have a zoa frag that was a bright red and now is a dull pink

Nitzanah

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
flyfish;331537 said:
I have some lights that youre more than welcome to borrow till you find some
Really appreciate it but I prefer not to borrow things. If something were to happen Id have to replace the item and still but new lights! But thank you for offering!!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the lights are most definately the problem. IME you need no less than 2 watts per gallon with leds or 3 watts per gallon with t5 or MH to adequately grow sps and the harder lps.