1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Doc’s oops I did it again 200 gallon

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Dr.DiSilicate, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I’m pretty excited for sure! It’s all coming along nicely so far. I hope to finish plumbing in the next week or two once the silicone is good and cured. I have about 40 lbs of rock that has been brewing for several months. I’ll have the tank running for a while before the move.Hoping to make the transfer early this summer. I’ll be selling lots of Frags in a few weeks to make the transfer easier.

Haddonisreef and FinsUp like this.
  2. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

3. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Thanks! It’s not really that hard. I’ve done several little dosing containers and added dividers to existing tanks in the past. I built one smaller tank a few years ago as well. This is the largest thing i’ve done for sure. It’s been setting up for a week so I hop to get it tested today.

4. Dr.DiSilicate

Well... the sump passes the water test last night. I got the stand (for the equipment and sump) finished last night. The stand is in the equipment room of my basement. The tank is on the other side of the wall in the basement/tv room. It’s mostly plumbed! I’ll be giving it a test go this evening!!! Super bowl win!

Attached Files:

neil82 likes this.
  5. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Looks great. At what size would you need to add a brace to the tank?

6. Dr.DiSilicate

I used an aquarium thickness chart I found on google. The height seems to be more important than the length. At 15 inches tall I have a safety factor of about 3 (on whatever scale they use, and that’s accaptable) if I went any taller i’d Need thicker glass or to brace. Since the water level is at 11” I decided not to brace. Now that you asked i’m Second guessing myself... lol

7. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

You could yuro brave across the top real easy

8. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Lol. Didn’t mean to make you question yourself! A brace should be pretty easy to add if you do start to notice any flex. I’d take a very precise measurement of the top in the center and check it every few days until you are comfortable.

9. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Now you got me thinking that I need to make my own frag tank...I have the bottom glass already from the broken 210... All I'd need is the side glass Hmm

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  10. Dr.DiSilicate

So i’m An idiot! I didn’t put the gaskets in the Synergy overflow correctly. They have one for the inside and one for the outside of the glass for each of the two bulkheads. I dudn’t Notice as they were stuck together and only put them on the inside of the tank. Well... I had an f ing drip on the back of the tank! What a mess to correct!!! 30” tank from front to back is a bit hard to work on! Lol Lesson? READ THE DIRECTIONS! Don’t tell my wife... haha

11. Dr.DiSilicate

Well... I shoulda braced it! Don’t ask. I have work this weekend...

12. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Noooooooooooo! Is it bowing out or is it worse?

13. Dr.DiSilicate

Bowing and worse. Haha I was pissed when I noticed this am... the. Needed to go to work all day. Just a slow leak but i’ll Be starting over this weekend.

14. SkyShark

Oh no! At least you caught it early. It would be way more annoying if that happened in 6 months or a year.

15. SUS

SUS Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Any updates on this? Did you get the sump fiasco straightened out?

16. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Pics brah

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

17. Dr.DiSilicate

77E8FF9D-4B04-4982-A219-C29B237E064E.jpeg 478C1311-BFB7-4ED7-8A44-FCE6C45F192E.jpeg C807B9C0-106D-4939-99E8-52F4C7D08EC8.jpeg DEA19044-F64D-4D3A-8DCC-B693D0078E32.jpeg Well, after the sump issue my wife “recommended” I “just buy a nice sump and quit fussing” so I ordered a triton 44 from BRS. I had a coupon and points saved so I went for it. I am pretty happy with it. I also got a cheep led panel for the fuge which seems pretty slick and the cheato is growing. I have about 40 lbs of rock and 150 lbs of sand in it and have been running it for two or three months. I added a couple green chrome’s to have some waste in the system and a purple tang a few weeks ago. The rock had been cooking for 6 or more months in a tub plus some from my sump that is well aged. I also have a marine pure block that was in my other system for a couple years. (I’d recommend these to anyone thinking of adding another tank or upgrading a tank with existing sump... lots of bacteria in there)

Here’s the tank and sump. The tank awaited my halides and t5’s but has some blue led strips and a Ai Prime illuminating it for the fish.

18. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Gonna be killer. Here's the million dollar question.

DID YOU PEE IN IT??

Brahaha

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

19. Dr.DiSilicate

You know I’m old school.

20. SUS

SUS Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Looks great. Like the minimalist scape you got going