Don't boil your zoas

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats crazy had no Idea

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I must be immune by now, I have had it all over my arms, so many times, in the eyes, mouth, on my face, I always have cuts on my hands, and sometimes it burns a little but thats it.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
We should have a zoa eating contest sometime. Winner takes all! And im talking about all the dead reefer tanks. Risks are great...but the rewards would be greater!!!

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you read close enough, not all zoanthids produce harmful doses of palytoxin. Only a very few actually after doing a little research. They are harmful enough that even on the skin, enough could kill you. I assume none of us have any zoa's that produce palytoxin, or we would probably know by now.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;86406 said:
If you read close enough, not all zoanthids produce harmful doses of palytoxin. Only a very few actually after doing a little research. They are harmful enough that even on the skin, enough could kill you. I assume none of us have any zoa's that produce palytoxin, or we would probably know by now.
Zzzzzz...you expect us to read the whole article? I was done after I got a good laugh.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;86406 said:
I don't know that I believe that all the way because that guy didn't die? I also have had the effects of palytoxin from inhalation, as well as Mantid.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;86409 said:
I don't know that I believe that all the way because that guy didn't die? I also have had the effects of palytoxin from inhalation, as well as Mantid.

Silly Juan you cant smoke them! Let me guess Aaron told you to? he he

120greefman

Heffe01;86401 said:
We should have a zoa eating contest sometime. Winner takes all! And im talking about all the dead reefer tanks. Risks are great...but the rewards would be greater!!!
That is a great idea. Remind me never to hang out with you while drinking.

I really wish there was a list though. For example I don't take zoas to work for my pico because of a story of some guy having to be taken to the ER b/c he got zoa poisoning while cleaning his work tank. Poisoning at home is one thing, but that would really make you look like a dumbass at work, and you'd never live it down.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Stay away from protopalys and palys like grandis. Most zoas don't have the toxin as far as I've found. I make sure I wear goggles, gloves and turn a vent hood on. Overkill yes, but who wants to be the dumbass listed on the Darwin awards for there coral killing them.

120greefman

brent ward;86469 said:
Stay away from protopalys and palys like grandis. Most zoas don't have the toxin as far as I've found. I make sure I wear goggles, gloves and turn a vent hood on. Overkill yes, but who wants to be the dumbass listed on the Darwin awards for there coral killing them.
You should change your name to safety 1st. :) I have only had one paly ever make me feel like I was gonna die. Not sure the name but it was blueish gray silver and it grew like a weed. I truely hated it.

120greefman

Yaten13;86468 said:
I really wish there was a list though. For example I don't take zoas to work for my pico because of a story of some guy having to be taken to the ER b/c he got zoa poisoning while cleaning his work tank. Poisoning at home is one thing, but that would really make you look like a dumbass at work, and you'd never live it down.
That is actually a good idea. The only problem is who is gonna test the zoas to see if they are toxic? I vote not me. I can see it now, someone says they will be fragging zoas x, y and z tonight to check toxin levels and that person never reports their results, I guess we can only assume they died. LOL

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
brent ward;86469 said:
I chew grandis like bubble gum, and grind protopalys to add as a seasoning.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Seriously, in all truth- there is major risk in handling these animals, and anyone who is going to do so should take all nessesary precautions, including gloves, glasses, handling underwater as much as possible, and educating others.
I have seen a paly shoot streams of water over 10 feet, and know somebody who has made a trip to an emergency eye doc with damage to his cornea and lense.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
And your last line is why I take so many precautions. I'd be screwed with my eyes...