Drilling a tank

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone have a glass hole saw they can let me borrow/show/teach me on drilling a hole in a tank? Possibly a LFS that does it as well if no one has one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you order a bit from BRS or Amazon, i can drill the tank for you at the show this weekend if youre attending

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'll try to attend. It's my daughters birthday so depends when the wife wants to celebrate it

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
2 1/2"

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can help you out too. I believe the glass hole saw is 60 mm which will work for 1.5 inch ABS bulkhead if that's what your doing.

If I only have access to a 1 inch hole saw, and my overflow is 1", but my return is 3/4", do they make a reducer or coupler to be able to use the 1 inch hole but with 3/4 inch line? Would this create an air gap or pose issues?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The bulk head that's with the overflow box measures 2 1/4" from thread to thread

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;n662141 said:
The bulk head that's with the overflow box measures 2 1/4" from thread to thread

Sounds like a 1.5" bulkhead

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;n662141 said:

I thinks that's a 1.5 inch bulkhead. Here are a few pics of mine for reference.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Texco;n662137 said:
If I only have access to a 1 inch hole saw, and my overflow is 1", but my return is 3/4", do they make a reducer or coupler to be able to use the 1 inch hole but with 3/4 inch line? Would this create an air gap or pose issues?
Not sure if you could get away with that. But I think I have the size you need. See post above.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your right Neil82, will you be attending the meeting on Saturday?

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Texco;n662231 said:
Neil82 do you have a 3/4" and a 1" saw bit? I am not able to make it tomororw but could I pay you to drill my tank?
I can help you out with hole for 3/4 inch or 1.5 inch bulkhead.

I ordered a 3/4" and a 1" bulkhead sized drill bit from glass-holes. Any tips or suggestions from those that have drilled before? Someone that has done it would you potentially want to help me do it or am I telling myself it is harder then it is?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I witnessed CRW do it on my tank and I could help you out

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Texco;n663167 said:
I ordered a 3/4" and a 1" bulkhead sized drill bit from glass-holes. Any tips or suggestions from those that have drilled before? Someone that has done it would you potentially want to help me do it or am I telling myself it is harder then it is?
I take the bulkhead and a sharpie and mark exactly where I want the bulkhead to be. If you are putting it near the plastic trim pieces of the tank make sure you account for the flange of the bulkhead. Then get a good blob of plumbers putty and build a dam around your soon to be hole, this will keep water on the bit to cool it. Then I start with the drill at a 45 degree angle, aligning the bottom curve of the bit to the sharpie traced location on the glass. Start drilling slow until you have a good start and then begin to slowly rock the bit into an upright position. Once you have the bit making full contact use minimal pressure and let the bit do the work. The less you press down on the drill the less chance you have of cracking the glass. Easy does it. When you are getting close to drilling all the way through you'l see water going through the cut. Make sure you place a towel under your work to catch the falling piece of glass! That would really suck if it fell through and cracked the other side! If you press too hard at the finish you can actually break off the edges of the glass, this will result in a potentially bad connection with the bulkhead, so go super slow.

It seems intimidating, but it is pretty easy once you have done it before. Take your time, lay it all out and triple check your hole locations, and you should be good to go. If you want to drive up to Loveland I am more than willing to help you out if you need it!