Dripping kalk at night

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need to drip some kalk at night. My ph on the frag tank drops to 7.79 what's the best way to do this without a reactor and I don't want to use my ato.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Dripping kalk at night

09bumblebee;241768 said:
I need to drip some kalk at night. My ph on the frag tank drops to 7.79 what's the best way to do this without a reactor and I don't want to use my ato.
I dose kalk with a brs doser. I dose 8x a day and my ph is 8.2 -8.4 if thats is an option for you

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I also just thought of another way. I forget where I seen it but the guy made a dripper out of a jug and 1/4" water line and 1/4" ball valve from home depot. I would have it drip into a mixing glass the first night so you could measure the amout you dose

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I do have a spare brs doser. Do you mix it everday? Where is your line that you pull from the jug? 3/4 into it halfway?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

No I mix 1 gallon jug then put the tube about 1/4" above the undisoved kalk the pump does not seem to pull that stuff up. Not only did my ph stable out but so did my alk. Could not maintain alk above 7.5 now no matter when I test its at 9.5 every time I test

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you add fresh water to it or just pull from it, when empty refill

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

09bumblebee;241781 said:
Do you add fresh water to it or just pull from it, when empty refill
I run until almost empty then add 2 tbsp and refill I mix it using a mj 1200 and let it sit to settle. You could also just have 2 gallon jugs mix in one dose with the other so you just have lime water in one. I don't know how big your system is but I dont worrie about getting the cloudy stuff in a 700 gallon system. You might want to do the 2 jug thing if you worrie at all. If you follow the directions it says mix and pour off the saturated lime water and use that.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Another thing is brs has a great calculator I used a 1/8th of the dose to begin. Just incase I made a mistake I could recover. I dose 1056 ml a day. Might give you a place to start. So if you have a 100 gallon system thats 1/7th of mine I would start with 150 ml a day to start and see if you need more. But thats a real conservative dose imo

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, the frag tank is 40-50 gal I run a kalk reactor on the 90. But obviously overkill on the frag tank. I was thinking of making a small setup with some round acrylic. Basically duplicating the reactor but small version. Ill try the 1 gal jug idea first.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
chswkt;241795 said:
Check your alk level, I was having problems with this recently. The cause for me was low alk.
I run an alk dose pump.