Dry Live rock

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So .... not new to reefing but never had to deal with dry live rock. I am wondering if I could get everyone's thoughts on if it can just be added to an existing reef or if it needs to be re-cured. Any thoughts and or advice would be awesome. Long story short I bought a tank that has been torn down and stored for over a year and I was thinking about adding a few pieces to my existing reef and pass on the rest. Just want to be knowledgeable about the options for the use of it and dont want to tell anybody anything wrong.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Last edited by a moderator:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
oh and thank you Boogie for your thoughts i appreciate them man, just trying to get an overall general opinion on it.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If the rock was previously "live rock" but has been sitting for a year and dried up...I would re-cure it before adding it. Based on what I'm assuming here, when the rock was allowed to dry all the living matter dried up in the rock as well. If you add that to your tank, you'll be adding a lot of dead matter which could cause some spikes you don't want. I personally bleached, muriatic acid washed, and dried my rock before starting my tank. I would do the same with any rock I know not to be relatively "clean". I've just stuck to bleaching, sun baking, and RO water soaking for any "clean" rock that I just wasn't sure about...for my peace of mind. Just my .02

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it was me, I would boil the rocks and add them a few at a time to the existing system. That is just what I would do.