Ear clearing

I have had problems clearing my ears every time I go snorkeling or tried scuba. I did the squeeze my nose trick. Anything I can do while I'm land locked to help "train" my ears so I can go lower then 10'?

P.S. I have no problems when I go in higher elevations for my ears

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I learned to flex the muscles in my inner ears to make them pop. I found if I do it all the way down instead of just when I felt pressure I did a lot better.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Along the same lines as what Fourthwind said, I use a hand to pinch my nose and then pop my ears nearly continuously on the way down. If I wait until the pressure builds I can't seem to get them to pop....but constantly popping them all the way down works for me.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
For me, pinching my nose doesnt work that well. I find flexing my jaw muscles to work much better, but like Chris mentioned it helps to do it constantly during the decent

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Also remember that it's a learned skill. Relax, go slow... practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go slow, if you start to fill pain or discomfort ascend a little to relieve the pressure than retry. I find moving my jaw around helps along with the normal nose pinch.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just hold a spear gun in your hand and look for dinner it will take your mind off of it. But seriously just have to remember to do it as you go down. I think it would be different if you lived where you could be in water all the time

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had trouble myself at first (bad allergies). What worked for me was to wiggle my jaw while swallowing. That would pop then first time every time.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, DO NOT wait until they feel funny to pop. Learned that the hard way (couldn't hear right for a week but fortunately no damage). Pop every couple seconds on the slow decent. If you feel any pressure, go up a foot and pop. Don't continue descending.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.