ebay t5 light?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am thinking about doing an ebay t5 light, it is a 4x39w setup, or a total of 156w.

With that lighting, what could I get to sustain and thrive in a 40B tank?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a 6 bulb t5 off of ebay not too long age, there are some things you must know. First there are no fans so you will need to keep it vented or not enclose it. second it does not have a splash shield so you will need to clean the reflector often, and third the bulbs are not so great so budget to replace them with in the first 6 months. Aside from that I like mine, I know I didn't answer your question but I thought you should know.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
the splash guard is fine because I have glass tops for my tank. But for not having fans, does it raise the temp of your tank at all? And is your setup just sitting on its legs or is it mounted higher up?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
no, it just raises the temp of your bulbs which may or may not be a problem.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 40 gal sump/fuge, and have only 3 - 24" T-5 bulbs (on an icecap 660 ballast) and grow SPS frags on shelves. IMO, depending on the bulbs, you should not have a problem keeping anything you want in a 40Gal.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you should get a splash guard as opposed to a cover on your tank, as you need to have the surface open for oxygen exchange. Also, I never really thought about fans that much until the one on my 5 bulb fixture went out, and the housing was too hot to touch... It was doing a lot more than I thought. Have you looked at Aquatraders.com yet?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I looked at the aqua traders.com website, very good prices and I think that I am going to order a light through them.

My question now is, is the 3x39w setup enough? Or should I do the 4x39w setup?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep, I'd def go 4, if for no other reason than having 2 blue and 2 whites, otherwise you might have too much "blue" (2 blue bulbs) or too much "white" (2 white bulbs)

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
hah yeah thats a good point, but I think that I am going to do the 4 bulb setup and see what happens with those. Thats so little money that I can get it set up on those and then do led later down the road

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haven't made any purchases yet still looking for the right deal to come along new or used.

Why do you have a light I may be interested in?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want to do LED, I'll build it if you buy everything. Really enjoyed my build so want to start offering to build them for others.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd, if I do led I will let you know for sure, because I have no idea how to get those things together haha.

blazinjack, if only I had a longer tank I would really want that, but I don't as of now, maybe someday I'll have another tank...

jgonzz, can I see a picture of the fixture? I have someone who has one with 1x250w and then 2x39w t5 supplements, but I am open to all offers.