****ed nem :/

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kay so bought this from Seth and I was amazed!! I though it was little over a foot but no this thing is pushing almost three feet across!!!! Today it was the biggest it's been so far and was happy only thing I changed was I added another clown pair because I'm waiting for them to be picked up and didn't want them cramped in my ac70 on the side of the tank any longer an the added flow was making the nem move. So I leave from practice an it looked like this. Last pic is from before practice tool it at 3:20.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Come home from practice and it looked like this! Could the clowns been to aggressive? They weren't fighting at all just shaking their butts and the usual.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
that's what it looks like to me, too. It's all scrunched up because it's squeezing really hard right now.

Mine was thanksgiving turkey platter size yesterday and today maybe baseball and shriveled. Happens every few days. I freak out every time though.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup, normal. All my nems do this about daily just as the lights dim down. Sometimes it happens in the mornings too and lasts a few hours...I panic but they look fine the next day.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
To be honest don't think they should be doing it every day, If you feed them heavy maybe. Although it is normal for them to deflate and look funky.

Last edited by a moderator:

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Of the 5 nems in my tank...probably 3 of them will deflate like that on any given day. Some more often than others, but it always happens at the same time, just as the whites shut off. I haven't seen any signs of them being stressed (no bleaching/moving)...the largest nem tends to deflate the most frequently, and has been in the tank for a few months now.

They all get fed regularly since the flow in my tank tends to push food into them, and my clowns like to drag food over to them as well. I think it depends on how much food/light they get; when I ran my lights lower they didn't deflate as often, but started moving towards the light, looked less colorful, and stayed open all day. I'm guessing they were trying to get as much light as possible, because once Kris brought over the PAR meter and I increased the lighting (and upgraded to a radion pro just prior), they started to color up nicely...and deflate daily at the end of the photoperiod.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Of the 5 nems in my tank...probably 3 of them will deflate like that on any given day. Some more often than others, but it always happens at the same time, just as the whites shut off. I haven't seen any signs of them being stressed (no bleaching/moving)...the largest nem tends to deflate the most frequently, and has been in the tank for a few months now.

They all get fed regularly since the flow in my tank tends to push food into them, and my clowns like to drag food over to them as well. They definitely don't "poop" daily (usually just the day after a heavy feeding), but they do deflate regularly.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome when I get off today I'll check how it's doing but when I left last night it looked to be inflating. Thanks for all the posts, not something I'm used to seeing, I've had a few nems and mine never did this out of the blue.