exorcism of zoa eating nudis

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some zoa eating nudis made it past my DD & RR (double dip & RODI rinse) procedure. Clearly, they were eggs. I've been fighting them for almost a month now. The bottle of Bayer that should have lasted me a lifetime in the hobby is about half gone at this point, because I'm dipping all of my zoa colonies every time the polyps close, or at least every 3-4 days. Then I got a 6line wrasse a week or so ago. Not sure if he's got a taste for them or not, but I'm losing patience at this point, and don't want to lose another colony to these little demons. I've only ever seen 1 at a time, but clearly, they're reproducing somehow. At this point, if I had to switch genders and become a Catholic priest in order to perform the exorcism myself, I would seriously consider doing so. No really, I would.

Anyway, here's my 1st draft plan of attack:
Set up a miniature tank as a coral treatment facility (CTF), and put all of my zoas in it.
Treat the whole tank with Bayer for a week.
Rinse everything down with RODI several times so the Bayer is gone, and get a 2nd 6line wrasse (aka Terminator).
Put Terminator in the tank with the zoas for a week, so his main food source is nudis.
Then move him into the nano and treat the CTF with Bayer again for a week or two, until the 180 is up and running.
When Michael sets up his 190, Terminator will get his 'green card' and take up permanent residency there.

Coincidentally, I'm in the early stages of upgrading my 125 to a 180. When I tear down the 125, should I get all of my corals off their current rocky homes, dip them, and start completely over with dry rock in the 180? I have one or two fabulous rocks in my DT now that I really want to put in the 180. How do I process those so they're nudi-free? I'm thinking about bleaching them, then soaking them in Prime to dechlorinate them, and putting them back in the tank. Would that be a horrible plan?

Anyone else battle these things successfully? If so, how did you do it? PLEASE school me in the ways of the force... I'm sure I'd make a great paduan.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That sucks Cindy. Good luck getting rid of them.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I forgot to mention that I read something somewhere about flatworm exit, so I dipped a frag of zoas that I saw a nudi on in it. After 10 minutes, no sign of damage to the nudi, so I took it up a notch, and completely overdosed the thing with flatworm exit. 10 minutes later... nothing. The little bugger was just fine. So, after that highly unscientific experiment, I concluded that flatworm exit is completely ineffective on nudis.
Lugols is one of the D's in my DD & RR procedure.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have them with my shrimp and crabs they leave them alone best pest control you can get in tank personally

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;227924 said:
How about a 6line wrasse, any good for em?
I got one a week or so ago. I don't think he spends nearly enough time around the zoas, but then I was hoping he'd camp out in my zoa colonies and never leave. I don't know for sure if he's got a taste for nudis.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You have me paranoid now, I might get one as well, I have yet to see any nudis, but better to prevent them!

Are the Yellow choris wrasse jumpers? - I have no top.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
Munch;227930 said:
You have me paranoid now, I might get one as well, I have yet to see any nudis, but who knows maybe I've got some as well?
If your zoas close up inexplicably, and polyps start to disappear... then it's possible. They're furry little bits that take on the color of the zoas they eat, so they're really hard to spot. It helps to inspect your zoas after the lights go out with a flashlight. The zoas close up, and if you see furry things on them, then it might be a nudibranch.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gotcha, I'm going hunting tonight. Hope I find nothing.

I have had some zoas closed up for a bit, for not reason.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is not going to be an easy exorcism I battled them before and it takes months of diligent observation and removal of the eggs to rid your tank of them. In my battle I tossed every dip and treatment I could imagine. Best chance is to isolate all zoas and leave the DT zoa free for a few months. Dips every 3-4 days and visual inspection of each coral to remove eggs don't just pick the eggs off cut the polyp off that they are on and trash it. Better to loose one poly than to think you have them beat only to have 1 egg repopulate the entire tank.

Good luck

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yea coris are great but they will eat crabs and snails. Seen mine get one yesterday, but at least I know he's well fed ;)

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I've got a 6 line in the tank now. Will the two of them get along? Is the coris better than the 6 line at this, or is it a '6 of one, half dozen of the other' kind of deal?

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Swanny;228019 said:
Man my coris has never touched a snail crab or any other invert. He is a nudi eating machine though.
Yea I don't have Any pests right now so I think he has started hunting dumb hermits lol. I don't see many empty shells so its minimal

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

CindyL;228023 said:
I've got a 6 line in the tank now. Will the two of them get along? Is the coris better than the 6 line at this, or is it a '6 of one, half dozen of the other' kind of deal?
Coris are far better at pest control, they should get along fine as long as your six line is not huge. You have a sand bed right? they use the sand as shelter.