Expiration dates on test kits

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So some of us pay for expensive test kits like Salifert and others. I was noticing that a few of them have expired. In the passed I would have just thrown it out but the last time this happened I kept the kit and bought a new one. That was about four months ago, and I have used both and have seen on different in readings. One expired in 2011 the other does not expire til 2015. This is on a calcium test kit but have tried on a magnesium test too. Both salifert; what gives?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm, I would guess they put a generic expiration date on kits just for the everyday user. Possibly you have taken somewhat better care of the reagent, allowing it to last longer. Some causal user may be more sloppy in how they care for their stuff. Just a thought.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Expiration dates on test kits

I always put them back in their boxes and back up on the shelf. :/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
i always keep my test kits until they are gone... and i always buy a new test kit right before i run out just so i can reference it to the new kit. if i ever question my test kit, ill take a sample to a store to reference it with theirs. only test kit i have had go bad was a salifert calcium kit due to the reagent hardening up cause of moisture. since then, i never store the reagent in a closed container to avoid it from drawing moisture from the pipette.

Air and light are the two major things causing rapid degradation in chemical like this. If you cap em quick and box em up, then that's doing better than some. I've seen some leave the bottle out, caps off, aquarium water contaminating everything...

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
TexSun;228824 said:
Air and light are the two major things causing rapid degradation in chemical like this. If you cap em quick and box em up, then that's doing better than some. I've seen some leave the bottle out, caps off, aquarium water contaminating everything...
... and tanks crashing...

I threw away a few expired kits, then started wondering why there was an expiration date in the first place. Tested them against each other to see if being expired made any difference in the results, and stopped throwing them away based on a stamped number on the box.