Exploding frag plugs! And Dremel bit recomendation

First off I would like to mention I dislike the composition of ecotechs frag plugs. Most plugs break or crumble when pressure is applied with a bone cutter, their plugs are like cutting reinforced tile and splinter off with a bunch of force shooting coral and plug bits all over the place. Anyway, has anyone used the dremel diamond wheel for fragging? I might even just score the plugs with it but wanted to get some first hand feedback. Thanks!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't tried cutting with the dremel yet, but when I use the bone cutters on a hard plug I cover it with a hand towel to avoid any pieces flying anywhere. Obviously you have to be careful and make sure the cut is lined up correctly before covering it.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I use a dremel with a diamond cut off wheel to score and cut frags all the time. I usually get the frag plug wet and then cut to lower friction on the blade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used my Dremel diamond cutting wheel to frag coral skeleton and rocks(havent touched it to coral flesh yet), cuts through like butter on the wet frags, makes the skeleton warm to the touch but thats about it. dry cutting super hard stones like aquamarine, apetite, and garnet, the blade and rock get very very hot but still cuts fine. Love my Dremel diamond wheel, I recommend one.

Thanks guys! I will give the diamond wheel a shot to start the plug cut and finish with the cutters. I cut under water so I can see everything but these plugs (ecotech) are just terrible in my opinion. When they break they splinter under the pressure unlike anything I have ever used.