Favorite "Low End" Corals

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I was just reading the latest entries on Seth's build thread and it got me thinking... Now, I'll be the first one to admit that I frequently get geeked out about fancy named, high dollar, crazy colored corals, but there are so many awesome common less expensive corals out there. That being said, I decided these corals needed a thread in their honor. My personal favorite "low end" coral is pulsing xenia. There are no other corals quite like these hypnotic beauties. I'm not sure if it is still there, but elite reef used to have an amazing cube filled with pulsing xenia. Attached is a link to a nice article explaining why they pulse... What is your favorite "low end" coral?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...aily_TrendMD_1

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have to say one of my favorites happens to be my first coral, which is the giant elephant ear mushrooms. They are bright green and when fully opens and splayed out on the sand bed they look very similar to a carpet nem.
I have also seen some pretty amazing leather corals that often times are considered low end, that grow out into these beautiful colonies, with plenty of movement to hypnotize you like the xenia can too
http://www.wiki-reef.com/CoralSpecimen.aspx?cid=168

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Funny I saw Seth's post too and that got me thinking about the same thing. For the big tank at school I am planning on giving up on the high end stuff and going with easy stuff like this. While my students do appreciate the diversity they don't know the difference between a freebie and a $100 frag!

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the candy cane coral. One of the first frags that really took off and grew for me. Love the look under blue LEDs when the polyps open up and extend.

Roscoe

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;n665282 said:
Funny I saw Seth's post too and that got me thinking about the same thing. For the big tank at school I am planning on giving up on the high end stuff and going with easy stuff like this. While my students do appreciate the diversity they don't know the difference between a freebie and a $100 frag!
I've got some gsp and mint polyps that you can have on a DBTC

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Roscoe;n665287 said:
I've got some gsp and mint polyps that you can have on a DBTC
We all have tons of those lol

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I was just talking to someone about this general topic! I plan on having a SPS dominant tank, but I'll have a little island of GSP on the sand bed for sure! I just want to be able to contain them, but a really satisfying coral.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My favorite "low end" is green toadstool leather. And the bread and butter zoas from Vietnam. Tons of color for super cheap.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SynDen;665639 said:
I have to add Yellow scroll too
Yellow scroll is at the top of my list. One one my favorite. I've never considered it a "low end coral" because I rarely see mature colonies outside of public aquariums. The best colonies I've seen were at the public aquarium out on Staten Island.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Hollywood stunner