Fish Room Build

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think it needs to be high enough so that when the power goes out then comes back on, you don't have to worry about bubbles travelling OVER the middle pane.
I'd make it go up to about and inch and a half to two inches from the top of the tank

All right I have the sump running with some dead rock and live rock to get that part stable. I filled the sump with some water from the DT and new water. I ended up getting an ASM G3 skimmer, scored this thing for $30. Next is to move the frag tank (40b for now), I have CC substrate in there now and not sure if it does any good. Would you guys use substrate or go bare bottom, what are the benefits to each?

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mind if I ask you what size piping you used for drain and return? I have 4 1" drains (3 seperate tanks) and am trying to figure out what size piping to run.

Still working on all the plumbing, but the returns are 3/4" and drains will be 1". I only have 2 tank right now so was just going to have each one drain seperatly back to the sump.

I thought it was about time to update this. I have been getting hammered at work so not much time to work on the basement. The HOA said I have to paint my house, so there went my extra funds for the build. My 90gal sump decided it was a good time to spring a leak, I was able to save the last 5 gallons of water left in it. Both of my reeflos apparently sat to long dry and now leak, just ordered new gaskets. I am loosing motivation on this build. Some one please come over here and slap me out of it.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hang in there...I'm thinking my build is going take months longer than I planned. Got all the equipment in the garage and it's going to the basement over the next few days, then it begins. The build looks great, would suck to stop now! The area you're "building" looks just like where I'm going to setup my build. We should take turns doing some "build parties". Do it all the time with my 4x4 and muscle car addictions...amazing what multiple people can do when all that teamwork and experience comes together!

Boogie...are you going to end up running multiple tanks off your sump?? I've been toying with some thoughts of two tanks off one sump, since it's going to be very high capacity. I've already got the addiction and can't seem to "justify" such a large capacity sump/skimmer/etc for one 110g display. I haven't done ANY research yet on the idea. Main reason I figured I'd have to research and ask around is because I'm considering doing one low bio-load reef tank and one higher bio-load fish only off the same basement setup. I can't imagine why there would be an issue with having a reef and FO off the same sump, but I'm a newb! ;)

So I get home today and not a drop of water on the ground. I think I got things running solid in the basement. Now I need to add some more outlets, ran a dedicated 20 amp line in already. I think I should put in another just incase. Need to plumb in for RO/DI, and not sure if I like my set up for water storage and mixing. But things are looking better and have more motivation again. I will get the updated pics in a few.

And another thought. I have a 75 laying around, I am playing with the idea of cutting it down and making it a 4ft frag tank. What do you all think, cut it or sell it?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
B-Willz;108220 said:
So I get home today and not a drop of water on the ground. I think I got things running solid in the basement. Now I need to add some more outlets, ran a dedicated 20 amp line in already. I think I should put in another just incase. Need to plumb in for RO/DI, and not sure if I like my set up for water storage and mixing. But things are looking better and have more motivation again. I will get the updated pics in a few.
Awesome...glad to hear it!! I'm just getting overwhelmed on logistics and which direction and equipment to use in the completion. Maybe I need some pics of yours for motivation!! (hint hint) ;)