flatworms that wont die!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
When I had red planaria they responded very quickly. Not only would they come out but the ended up floating about the tank clearly dying. I followed the recommended dosage and instructions. I added the FWE, scooped out as many as possible, did a huge water change 24-48 hours later and ran tons of carbon. I did this for over a month and now I don't have any flatworms over a year later. This was on a 360 so I was going through almost a whole bottle per treatment. I don't think that they have built up a tolerance for FWE, from your photos I think you have a different species than the typical red planarians since they don't appear red and from your description they are brown to black. Reducing feedings might also help to reduce their numbers. The key to getting them out and keeping them out is repeated treatments and removing as many as possible before and after treatments.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
YTB Damsels will eat them too. The worms can breed in the shadows and in nooks and crannies and can get out of control again. I do think that Damsels or wrasses might get one or two that get in on a frag plug and can keep them from taking over.

Make yourself a stronger potion and use it for a longer period of time. The dose that I posted is plenty reef safe - many people treating for AEFW use many times that dose safely.

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
If this is what is in FWE then I don't think it will help much. I think I have enough for one more 75 gallon dose, but I still saw a flatworm after the dosing yesterday. I might wait a few days and try flatworm solution at a slightly elevated level and leave it in for 24 hours again to see if that kills them off. On the plus side the ones I am seeing are very small.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
240addiction;331079 said:
If this is what is in FWE then I don't think it will help much. I think I have enough for one more 75 gallon dose, but I still saw a flatworm after the dosing yesterday. I might wait a few days and try flatworm solution at a slightly elevated level and leave it in for 24 hours again to see if that kills them off. On the plus side the ones I am seeing are very small.
Order the link JDA posted. Constant treatments is what will rid you of the problems of flatworms.

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;331081 said:
Order the link JDA posted. Constant treatments is what will rid you of the problems of flatworms.
What is the best way to treat them then? Should I keep doing this every three or so days with big water changes after 24 hours or am I past that point? Should I be running carbon?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The potion mix that I posted is many times more potent that FWE.

Dose the tank, let it sit for 24 hours and then carbon in. I don't remember doing any water changes, but I might have. You can dose weekly.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I did the water changes because as the dead worms decompose they release a toxin that the carbon and skimming will help to remove but won't remove enough.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;331088 said:
I did the water changes because as the dead worms decompose they release a toxin that the carbon and skimming will help to remove but won't remove enough.

+1 And hey an extra water change a week would help your corals :p

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;331091 said:
+1 And hey an extra water change a week would help your corals :p
my magnesium and calcium levels have been spot on and the new six head hammer coral I just picked up from another member is loving it.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dosed 4 times to ensure there were no egg hatches, and don't have them anymore. Change water after each dose too

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update:
well I bought the prohibit from eBay. I mixed up a solution of 1/2 tsp to about 240mL of ro/di water and added about .2 ml of this solution to a cup with four flatworms. It did nothing initially, so I left it for about 5 hours then I tried about .4mL more and left it for the day. Still nothing tonight. Any other recommendations?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
1ml per gallon is way stronger that Flatworm Exit and kills regular red planaria VERY well. Those must be stubborn guys. Did you ever identify them? Can you get a good close up?

Much over 3ml per gallon can be dangerous to snails and other inverts in a reef.

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was not able to identify the type. I don't have a macro lens for my t1i and at 400+ for the lens that ain't gonna happen, I am on board but I don't think the wife will be. I might swing over to aquamart today to look at their nubibranch and wrasse selection. I also tried using some flatworm solution again and it seems to not bother them at all.