Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm looking for a magnet style cleaner to occasionally use for a quick glass clean, and to allow my "tank sitter" to clean the glass when I am out of town. I've owned Magfloats in the past, but I don't currently have one. I think I stopped using them for fear of trapping sand in it and scratching the glass. Take the poll, if you want to add your opinion on why one is better than the other...comment below. If you have another option that works good, please let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Balz3352;n671778 said:
My tunze is good no sand trapping I put a cloth on the outside part though.
Does it bother you that it doesn't float? If you lose it on a corner won't it sink all the way down? I added Tunze and Other to the poll!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The flipper can be a pain to flip but it has metal blades for glass that are effective even on coralline. Magfloats are great for acrylic in conjunction with dobie sponge material laid out on it.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;n671781 said:
The flipper can be a pain to flip but it has metal blades for glass that are effective even on coralline. Magfloats are great for acrylic in conjunction with dobie sponge material laid out on it.
Did you classroom magfloat have the dobie sponge on it? Both my wife and I noticed it but didn't ask what it was you had going on there?

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Tunze has a metal blade option. A little dental floss allows the Tunze to be retrieved if lost around a corner.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Both the flipper and the mag-float are toys. Tunze, Hammerhead and Bubble Magnus are real tools that work a lot better. Using the large bubble magnus right now and the metal blade is pretty good.

If you get a lot of algae, AquaMedic has a 6" hand scraper that you can get an extension for that will chew through coralline and tough algae like butter. The metal blades last a long time too.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
TheRealChrisBrown;671782 said:
Did you classroom magfloat have the dobie sponge on it? Both my wife and I noticed it but didn't ask what it was you had going on there?
Yes it did. The float scrub itself will only take care of light algae. You need the dobie to take off harder to scrub algae.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thank you everyone for your input, I decided to go with the Flipper because for a majority of the time it is going to be used when I am out of town. So my thought was to make it as easy as possible for my tank sitter. I really thought about the Tunze, watched several youtubes on it, but if my sitter had to fish it out it sort of defeats the purpose. If it were just me using the thing I would have gone Tunze, but for the sake of ease and simplicity I'll give the Flipper the nod. Thanks again everyone!