Floor Supporting

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've read through a number of different forums, and tank builds here, but am wondering how some folks in the Denver area have solved floor reinforcement challenges. Since we have a more unique set or hurdles to overcome, and placing floor jacks directly onto the concrete subfloor may inhibit the natural expansion and contraction of the floor what have some of you done?

For reference, I currently have a 150DD sitting in my dining area and have it supported by 4 4x4's that support some sistered joists. As I'm working to build an actual room for my filtration (and understanding more about the expansion/contraction & floating wall requirements) I'm concerned that my posts may cause some cracking in the walls upstairs if there were to be some movement of my concrete floor.

I'm also trying to plan out how to support a different section of the floor for an upgrade in the future. I'd rather not have to tear down walls in the basement to reinforce the floor later. What I'm thinking is to add in additional floor joists in the area where I'm planning for the next tank to go, but am also honestly looking for an easier option. Also, the only places where a tank will fit are going to cause the tank to sit on only two joists. I have no location where a 6 or 8 foot tank will be able to span across multiple joists.

Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks,
- Chris

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Just to clarify, the new tank would be running parallel with the joists, not perpendicular to them? Thus only on 2 joists...?

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks!

Do you just have them resting on the concrete, or did you do something like dig footers for them?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just concrete. Theoretically my floors shouldn't need to the supports but more piece of mind is work the $150. I did not see the need to dig and put footers. Definitely thinks it helps with the bounce in the room but im the only one that can bounce it and I don't plan on doing jumping Jack's in front of my tank.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reviving this a bit, tank is in place. Here's what I'm working on and with. Any recommendations?

The tank runs with these boards. 300g 96x30x24h.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If the tank runs parallel to the floor joists I would absolutely reinforce the floor if it runs across them you should be ok but the peace of mind would be worth any inconvenience caused in my opinion we are looking at about 1.5 tons of water rock plastic steel and wood

Nice stand BTW

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya think you will certainly need at least one "T" support, directly under the tank. with 2x4 cross strap + steel post. no need for footer or anything just set it in place and make it as snug as you can

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. I was thinking of removing the X bracing in the photo and running two additional beams to beef up what is already there. Under them, grabbing 4 steel support posts and running two perpendicular beams under each end of the tank.

High Plains Reefer the stand is great!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I might be reading into this a little bit, but I think you have concerns or questions about the movement of the basement slab and how that might effect the bracing?

I second the idea of bracing it by the way.

I'm wondering if there is a way to "index" the bracing so that you could monitor over time in case there is any slab movement that might be translated up through the bracing?

That way you get the peace of mind of a well supported tank but you can ensure any damage to the house through slab movement is caught before it's a real issue.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think slabs will move... when they pour floors in basements it is in side the foundation walls. So you might get settling cracks but for a whole section to move would be tough.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone. Great point about the slab moving and "indexing" the bracing.

Could be something as easy as a level marking between the post and the wall to I'd any shift between the two. Hopefully I'll start bracing next weekend.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;n671463 said:
I don't think slabs will move... when they pour floors in basements it is in side the foundation walls. So you might get settling cracks but for a whole section to move would be tough.
As i understood it, it's within the space of the walls but they are actually seperate, it's why the framing in basements is typically off the floor floating or whatever the technical word I forgot is because of the floor possibly dropping/raising some.

If the house has been in place quite a while, I dont think it's an issue setting it for where it is now. Just check to make sure jack isnt loose from it dropping over time or even worse raised and putting undue pressure. Jack should be snug but not actually applying a bunch of upward pressure just preventing downward movement of beams. (Reminds me to check mine)

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks again everyone. I ended up bolting some additional 2x12's to the existing framing. Supported at both ends with 4x4's held up by 10k lb floor jacks. 200g in so far and it's rock solid.

I appreciate all the feedback on this!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Chris, I'm glad you figured something out for additional support. How about a few pictures of the final product? It might help someone else out in the future with a similar setup.

Looking forward to seeing the display come to life upstairs!

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is the support system. Beams sit about 6" in on either side.

Then the display with 200g in it. Hopefully I'll get to turn it on tonight. The second light will arrive friday.

Chris_W

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone. A few bulkheads for cable management and one more pipe connection and it will be operational. Cannot wait to get some fish in there!

It's been a fun, albeit nerve wracking, adventure.