Who's using what salt?

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Years and years ago Tropic Marin Pro was the best (arguably) salt on the market. What is the "best" these days? With black friday coming up, I figured I would stock up on some.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Been using Brightwell Neo Marine for last 6 months. Been a big step up from Fritz. Much more stable and consistent. $68.55 for 150 gallon box from Amazon

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’ve been using Reef Pro Mix. My dead dry rock seams to like it so far.

Actually, even though I’m still without coral, I did throw a chunk of rock from a sump at Aquatic Art into my sump a few weeks ago and I’m seeing evidence of Coraline in the display. I didn’t expect it to show up that quickly.

Years ago before I had to take a break, Brightwell was my go-to salt with good results.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Been using fritz for sometime now

whyamisofly

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fritz is awesome. We get it quite often if any NoCo folks need some.
What's your price - or you can PM if you are running a Black Friday deal.

We have Brightwell in stock for $60 a bucket, Fritz for $45 a box, salinity for $75 a bucket, all tropic Marin salts in stock, Ref Sea Blue bags for $55, Red Sea Pro bags for $65, Reef Crystals for $60, Kent Marine next week will be in for $35 per box.
We personally use Brightwell and Red Sea salts in our tanks.

Sour137

Cleaner Shrimp
I've been using HW marine reefer salt for the last nine months. My tank is still too young to judge coral growth, but I have gotten some explosive growth out of a GSP, and noticeable growth on zoas, and the one leather I have.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I used to only use Tropic Marin, then used Kent for a few years, and since have bounced around since Salinity became popular.

TM - Seems to be good, haven't used it in many years. I did have a crash after using some that had hardened together in the bucket.
Kent - Good affordable salt. I stopped using it due to the low alk I was getting
Salinity - Left a residue in my bucket, and was cloudy
HW Marine - Good salt, went through several boxes but moved to Red Sea Pro when it was on sale (I wish it came in buckets, as they are easier to move around)
Red Sea Pro - Been using it for the past 1.5-2 years. Decent parameters, but I've had some algae issues and SPS growth isn't as good.

I'm getting near the end of my bucket of Red Sea Pro, and thinking about going back to HW Marine, or trying DD H2Ocean.

H2Ocean looks interesting, and is all natural, where most of the salts today are synthetic.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Instant Ocean. IMO, the best salt for decades and also one of the cheapest. It mixes the exact same every time so that I have a good base to raise the calcium and lower the alk to exactly what I want.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I have used Instant Ocean for yours, really whatever has been cheapest and never really had problems with any of them.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been using fritz for about three years now, no complaints as of yet.