Pool saltwater sand filter?

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
so on CL is a free pool sand filter rated at 2100 gph!

First I know pool filters do not continually run so I wouldn't ask this to do so.
but I am almost thinking for water recycling! due to the electrocatalytic oxidation.(very new concept to me)
Or maybe have it kick on once a day to supplement water changes?

there is a video of a guy using one to compliment his system.

what do people know about this? anyone seen it, a few forums have people doing it but there has to be a reason most dont.

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
well, turns out the byproduct of the electrocatalytic oxidation is trace amounts of chlorine... Damn that would have been awesome to recycle water for free!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Sand filters can work great, for large systems, like 500g+. The bigger the system the better it works, but for small systems, like under 400g, there is a ton of more efficient, and cost effective methods.
The problem though is that almost all sand filters are made for pools and the large majority have metal pieces in them, and ones that don't, and that can do saltwater, can be very expensive. Also pool filter sand is made of silica sand, and silicia in a reef tank can be a bad thing and lead to major issues with dinos. You have to find a medium to fine grain oolite sand to use in saltwater.
They are basically a bio-pellet reactor on steroids though. They do exactly the same thing as bio-pellets and increase the surface area for beneficial bacteria to live, and breakdown nitrates from the water. Because they are fluidized, and the sand should always be in motion, and this ensures maximum efficiency for breaking down nitrates. They don't provide a way to recycle water though. They are just one way to maintain nitrate levels in a tank

Last edited by a moderator: