Fresh Water Planted Tanks?

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone out there with Fresh water planted tanks or know of other local forums related? My wife is interested in fresh water planted tanks and I'm trying to find local sources of knowledge and materials.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ask away :) I kept FW planted tanks for a few years before switching to reefing. I ran everything from simple "low tech" soil-based setups that produced their own CO2 for low-light plants, to "high tech" tanks with CO2 injection and high light. As for forums... www.plantedtank.net is an excellent resource, and they have a system very similar to our DBTC in place both locally and nationally. Very generous community, and they have a local sub-forum that is very active on their site.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya I kept various planted tanks for many many years before trying a reef tank. I have also tried a wide variety of substrates, plants and lighting setups. I think my favorite of them though was amazonian mud with ferns and several different mosses. Locally one place I would get many plants from was Fishden off 48th and sheridan. They have a pretty good selection of freshwater plants and can even order quite a few for you. You can also order many plants from places like http://www.aquariumplants.com/ which has a pretty selection. even liveaquaria carries some freshwater plants

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;310694 said:
Beware of snail's from fishden. Although my planted tank is also a species only dwarf puffer they enjoy the snails
+1. Thir anachris has tons of nuisance snails. Didn't bother me since it was for a turtle that loves to eat snails. They do have a predatory snail that will knock them out in a week if they get out of control.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life, and you can PROVE it mathematically.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Guess I have never had a problem with snails from them, but then I also did the about the same for plants as I do with corals and wash them thoroughly

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the information. I came across someone that said they soak their plants in a salt salt water solution to remove the pests. Anyone do this or know of other tricks to eliminate them?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Yep I used to do that too. Used to breed discus in a planted tank and always had to ensure no pest got into the tank since discus are so sensitive. I dont remeber exact concentration though, but used epson salt mostly, if I remember right