Help! Selling the house!

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay we are starting all the few things we need to do to sell our house. One big one is replacing our carpet and my 50gallon is on a carpet so it needs to be moved period. How should I go about this without loosing my coral. I have a 150g trough in my garage, should I take all the rock/corals and fish and put it in this trough? What would you guys do? Looking for any and all advice.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Last time I moved a small tank like this, I just drained all the water by a few inches, picked it up, slid some furniture movers under it and slid it over to it's new position and then put the water back in. Took a handful of strong doods, but it took about 3 minutes.

How far are you moving it and do you have to navigate any stairs?

Whatever you decide, I have a pair of the 1000lb suction handle thingies if you want to borrow them. I am in Longmont.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Last time I moved a small tank like this, I just drained all the water by a few inches, picked it up, slid some furniture movers under it and slid it over to it's new position and then put the water back in. Took a handful of strong doods, but it took about 3 minutes.

How far are you moving it and do you have to navigate any stairs?

Whatever you decide, I have a pair of the 1000lb suction handle thingies if you want to borrow them. I am in Longmont.
Well my realtor has suggested to move the tank out of the room to help it look more open. So in my garage if possible, luckily no stairs at all. I’m mainly worried about sand shifting and recycling the tank or whatever happens and may take you up on the suction handles if that’s needed. Thank you

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is the time frame between carpet replacement in old house to moving in to new home?
Hoping to have everything done and the house on the market by next Friday. Luckily I’ll be off from this Friday till next Thursday to work on things but honestly mainly worried about my corals.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I would do in your situation is:

1. Vaccum the crap outta the sand with a water change so the mini cycle is minimized.

2. Drain some of the water (like half or so) into the other container and put a heater and air stone in there.

3. Move some of the larger rocks that might tumble in a move into the rubbermaid along with your corals (makes fish easier to catch too)

4. Catch all your fish and put them in the rubbermaid.

5. Drain most of the remaining water into the rubbermaid or buckets.

6. Move the tank into its position in the garage (you will need more heaters than in the house)

7. Fill the tank halfway with water again

8. Move rock and corals back in the tank along with a 25% change of new water. Let settle for an hour or so.

9. Move fish back I to the tank along with any extra water needed to reach the top. Toss the remaining water.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

ShroomLagoon

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
For 50g you could grab 2 Tupperware bins, 2 furniture dolly's. Fill bins with rock then empty the water into them, roll them around, dont forget heater. Your right to worry about sand bed shift.

I brought my tank from Texas in 5g buckets with air pumps. Remember some corals make it halfway around the world before hitting our tanks.

Have extra towels, and extra saltwater ready.

Other idea would be make the carpet a concession of the sale, let new owners pick their carpet and have it replaced after closing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MASC mobile app

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I would do in your situation is:

1. Vaccum the crap outta the sand with a water change so the mini cycle is minimized

I never touch the sand so this won’t be an issue in its self to just vacuum the sand with it never being disturbed? I do have a large conch that does soft they it though so maybe that helps!

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
For 50g you could grab 2 Tupperware bins, 2 furniture dolly's. Fill bins with rock then empty the water into them, roll them around, dont forget heater. Your right to worry about sand bed shift.

I brought my tank from Texas in 5g buckets with air pumps. Remember some corals make it halfway around the world before hitting our tanks.

Have extra towels, and extra saltwater ready.

Other idea would be make the carpet a concession of the sale, let new owners pick their carpet and have it replaced after closing.

That’s what I wanted to do but realtor truly feels like we will get the most out of it if it’s already done and has the new look. :/

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It sounds like you'll need a place to put your tank temporarily while you have the carpet replaced and show your house. Maybe your garage is the best place to put it temporarily if it's not in the way and you can keep the temp stable. Any other places you can keep it short term? Workplace, or nearby family/friend?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never touch the sand so this won’t be an issue in its self to just vacuum the sand with it never being disturbed? I do have a large conch that does soft they it though so maybe that helps!
It will cause some cycling when you disturb it, but so will moving the tank. The idea is to make sure you at least vaccum out any organics that would cause a large cycle and turn it into a mini cycle instead.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you stop feeding the tank a few days before the move, then you will not have any organics in the sand that will cause issue. What causes issues is when you mix up the deep and shallow sections of the sand... the oxic regions need to stay oxic and the anoxic regions need to stay anoxic. This is not all that hard if there is just a few inches of water in there.

If you are going to move soon, then get a second tank. Move this tank into that tank in your garage, or whereever. Then, put your 50 into the new home and then move into it. You can reuse the sump and equipment and stuff. Just get a craigslist tank or a 40g breeder... if you need it drilled, then bring it over and I can drill it for you.

ShroomLagoon

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will cause some cycling when you disturb it, but so will moving the tank. The idea is to make sure you at least vaccum out any organics that would cause a large cycle and turn it into a mini cycle instead.

Would having Prime around in case of an ammonia spike be a good idea? Definitely agree with a 25% WC. Keep extra handy if you need to do another one. Run tests for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would having Prime around in case of an ammonia spike be a good idea? Definitely agree with a 25% WC. Keep extra handy if you need to do another one. Run tests for a few days.

Yes. Prime on hand would be a good idea.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a couple 200w heaters I’m not using currently if you decide to put it in the garage. Luckily it’s been quite a bit warmer than a couple weeks ago.

I also have a set of 4 glass suction cups if needed. I’m in northern Thornton.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you put your 50 in the garage temporarily, you could wrap some insulating material like rigid foam panels around the tank to help keep the temp stable.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a couple 200w heaters I’m not using currently if you decide to put it in the garage. Luckily it’s been quite a bit warmer than a couple weeks ago.

I also have a set of 4 glass suction cups if needed. I’m in northern Thornton.
Thank you, luckily I have 3 brand new 300 watt heaters I was going to use for the tank I’m selling so I should be good to go but I may have to let you know on the suctions cups, what kind are they?