Breakfast Bar Biocube

Our breakfast bar biocube is up and running after a very quick cycle.
It is a 14 gallon Oceanic that I traded some stuff I got for free on Craigslist. I have a Koralia 425 to stick in it that I will do today.
Really excited to start adding some corals, but first need to address a few things.
Number one the lights suck, and the cooling fans need replaced. One is noisy and one does not work. Anyone use Steves LED's? Seems like a hood affordable option.
After that I need to get or make a media basket for it.
I plan to do mostly LPS in this cube and lots of color is a must.
Anyone have any advice or opinions on anything else I am missing or may want to add?
This will be the first tank I add corals to so I don't want to botch it.
Also I noticed a piece of Aiptasia on one of my rocks. Best way to eliminate it? View attachment 11925 View attachment 11926

kchristensen8064

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I inject my aptasia with lemon juice and it does the trick. The hardest part was getting a needle from the pharmacy. They don't like to give them out without a prescription. You have to make sure that you inject it directly into the main body or it won't work.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is an even easier way for aptasia. Smother it in Kalk paste. Works every time and it doesn't have to go in the body.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MASC mobile app

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
On my biocube 29 I put a tuff Rubbermaid inside the stand and use my apex and an aqualifter. If you want something standalone, the tunze osmolator is your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MASC mobile app

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looks good.
For corals. Be patient. The initial cycle may be done, but the real cycle is only just beginning. It will take a while to get to "well established" and many corals wont do well until you reach that point. It generally noticeable when you reach that point, as the tanks parameters stabilize and things start to grow better. The first year of a tank is kind of an "ugly period" but be patient, it will get there.

For the LEDs I have seen quite a few people use Steve's with great success, hopefully some of them will chime in with the experiences.

For the Apstasia, kalk paste is the easiest way for sure. Just mix some kalk with a small amount of water till you have a thick paste. Turn off all tank pumps. Use a syringe to lay a thick pile of it right on top of it. Let sit for 15-30 min, and then turn the pumps back on. If corals are in the tank, be sure to not get any on them, it will burn them too.

+1 to an ato. these are important to getting the tank stable and are a must have imo. You can go super simple, and put a small water container above it some where, with a tube attach to a small float valve, or there are a variety of other options. Tunze are the ones I use on the my tanks