1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Gabe’s Double or nothing reef build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Gabe&Brandi, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Gabe&Brandi

Gabe&Brandi Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Better late than never! Here’s the non-minimalist aquascape. Brandi wanted a bunch of caves for the fish to swim in and out of. Looks ok.

I also spent some time today building the switchboard mount!

Next step is To figure out the lighting. One side of the tank has quite the reflection and the fish are chasing their mirrored image. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I wouldn't worry about the reflections. I actually intentionally use mirrors when I see aggression because they focus it more on things with a similar body shape and the mirror keeps their aggression focused on inanimate objects instead being aggressive against each other.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

3. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Ya agreed, a lot of fish, especially territorial ones, do that a lot when first introduced to a tank. Dont think they can actually see their reflection, unless you use a mirror. They are more likely trying to challenge the boundaries of their new home. Give them time, they'll adapt.

Tank is coming along, although you may want to consider taking up to about half that rock out, once you start growing corals or anything on those it looks like it will get real crowded fast. I think everyone does the wall of rock the first time. I know I did, but after the colonies start growing out, you will be looking for way to improve access in the tank, flow, and giving more space to grow, which means removing rock. Easier to do it now then later.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Gabe&Brandi

Gabe&Brandi Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

That’s good to hear, I didn’t want them getting stressed out like Brandi does when she looks in the mirror!

Haddonisreef likes this.
  5. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Echoing what synden said, I would consider taking out some of the rock assuming you will be growing coral in the tank. It’s hard to imagine running out of space for coral to grow at this point, but it will happen before you know it! Check out the tank of the month thread on some of the national forums to see what kind of rock base they started out with.