GBTA hates light?

I have 8 BTA'a in the tank (2 rainbow, 1 inferno, 4 rose and one GBTA), and the GBTA is the only one not happy. Got him a month ago and immediately split three ways. One was eaten by a powerhead (my mistake leaving it on), one sold, and the last i'm trying to keep but from day one it has been hiding in the shadows and in locations definitely not BTA compatible. It hid for 2 weeks straight in the bowels of my rockwork, and when I finally got it out half bleached and saggy, it still doesn't want to be in any typical BTA location. Mouth is tight, tentacles are plump, but its definitely pale. Any ideas guys? with everything else doing well this is throwing me for a loop.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of lighting do you have. Based on the full description it does maybe sound like too much light, that said I have BTAs that originally hid for two or three weeks before slowly reemerging. I have always assumed they are self acclimating to the light but eventually end upright under my MH.

In my oppinion it sounds like you have something else going that is preventing it from being able to acclimate. I don't. Have any suggestions of what though. Nems can be weird critters. I've had them go from huge strong and heathy to splitting, tentacles falling off and becoming quivering balls of snot for no apperant reason. In those cases I have suspected some sort of chemical warfare but of course that's something I will never know.

If you have another tank or qt with some form of good but moderate lighting I might try moving it and see what happens. Not to be Debbie downer but in my experience if a nem gets to the stage you have described there is a very good chance you are going to lose it anyway. So might as well try moving it if you can. Just my 2 cents

What it looked like prior. Walter White, Its not unhealthy, just bleached. I can definitely try to move it to a qt, but I don't have an appropriate light to keep it happy, so feel that would do more harm than good.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
BTAs have a tendency to hide when they are stressed or introduced to a new enviro. I personally would just leave it alone, or as Walter states, maybe move to a qt where it can get some alone time and recover, but the more you mess with it the more you will stress it out and then accelerate its decline.

Could be that it walked across something that stung its foot too, if thats the case, there really nothing you can do but wait and watch

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys. He's going downhill but still could recover. Free to whoever feels like trying as I do not have the time or space. shoot me a pm and we can work out details

My takeaway from all this is don't let them hide for more than a few days, even if it means ripping all your rock work out to find them. Next time i'll be using a basket to acclimate to my lights before they go in my tank.