External Return Pump Recommendations

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I am looking at replacing my Reeflo Hammerhead since the seal has started to leak and I am tired of repairing these seals. I have a lead on an Iwaki, but I am thinking about selling some stuff to get a new pump. I don’t think I have enough to sell to get like an Abyzz or anything crazy.

What would be a good external replacement pump?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Get a blueline, end of discussion either a 55DH or 70HD, you wont buy another pump ever again

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How much flow? Blueline/PanWorld, Iwaki, GenX are all great pumps, but do not move as much water as a Hammerhead. If you need to get over 3000 GPH, then get a Dolphin Ampmaster with the correct seal for saltwater, or better.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have a genx on my mixing tank that has run continuously for many years and never had an issue with it. Have several bluelines as well that have always work flawlessly. Although, for big flow, and if I had the money, I would put ampmasters on my closed loops for sure, those things are workhorses and built to last

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Are the Dolphins loud? Where is the best place to purchase one?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Repeat to yourself return pumps are not for circulation, there are much better pumps for that that use much less energy. Return pumps are only to keep the sump turned over so that additives and heat can be distributed.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Repeat to yourself return pumps are not for circulation, there are much better pumps for that that use much less energy. Return pumps are only to keep the sump turned over so that additives and heat can be distributed.
I know but I also supply my skimmer and my reactors from the manifold.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Picked up a lightly used Dolphin 3500 from Cris today. It’s less output than the Hammerhead but I think it will be a great replacement. I’m really looking forward to not worrying about seals anymore.