Good Clam Seller

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a good clam seller. I've become very interested in keeping a clam, both because I want some blue in my tank, and because I think they are interesting animals. The only store close to me is selling them for around $250, which is more than I'm willing to spend. Ideally I'd find a beautiful blue clam for $100-$150...maybe this is unreasonable, but I think I can find it given enough time. There are some incredible ones listed on ebay for this price, but I am skeptical buying livestock online, ESPECIALLY ebay sellers.

Anyway if anyone has a good clam source I'd appreciate you sharing!

For reference, here is an example of one of t he eBay clams I was looking at...this guy has maybe 6-7 of them available right now. If anyone has specific feedback on this seller, that would be greatly appreciated as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-TAHIT...86?pt=Coral_and_Live_Rock&hash=item3a8c007cea

Hopefully the above link doesn't break any forum policy...not my sale and I don't know the guy

Thanks,
Max

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great White Aquatics in Fort Collins I think has 4 at the current moment. 2 smaller 4 inch ish in size and 2 larger 6-7 inches in size. I am guessing that they are close to that ballpark you are looking at.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
We don't have any blue clams at the moment, but we get some little guys in regularly that are bright blue for around $100-$150. If you'd like, we should be able to get some in later this week.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you know what clams you are capable of keeping? Blue Tahitians might not be for you. For a first clam, you might look at a squamosa or a derasa - just about anybody should be able to get these.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
jgonzz;296476 said:
Booom
Reefstock Bro I will have 9 hot clams there from $80-$100
some sweet electric blues, and a couple golds
Nooooo. I'm in AZ this weekend visiting family for my birthday (trip was scheduled before I knew about reefstock, Reefstock would have been a SWEET b-day). Maybe I'll have to come check it out in person...where's your store located I can't find it on your site?

mikejrice;296480 said:
We don't have any blue clams at the moment, but we get some little guys in regularly that are bright blue for around $100-$150. If you'd like, we should be able to get some in later this week.
Hey Mike, thanks for the heads up. What size do you mean when you say "little guys"? I've been cautioned about buying clams under 2"-3" or so.

jda123;296484 said:
Do you know what clams you are capable of keeping? Blue Tahitians might not be for you. For a first clam, you might look at a squamosa or a derasa - just about anybody should be able to get these.
Thanks for your concern...as with all things in this hobby it seems the better looking the creature the harder it is to keep! I haven't seen any squamosa or derasa that have the color I'm looking for, I'd really like to get some more blue in my tank. That being said, I probably will not buy the Tahitian just because I won't risk ebay. I have LED lights (nothing fancy, but gets the job done) and keep stable enough water to keep and grow some of the simpler SPS (monti, birds nest, etc). Based on what I've read, I think this will be sufficient to keep most clams, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Seth thanks for your suggestion as well...I couldn't quote 4 people in one post haha. Not sure when I can make it to Fort Collins next but I'll keep them in mind.

max

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
maxfrenkel19;296486 said:
Hey Mike, thanks for the heads up. What size do you mean when you say "little guys"? I've been cautioned about buying clams under 2"-3" or so.
They're usually pretty close to the 3" range, but we can get larger ones as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
maxfrenkel19;296486 said:
I'd really like to get some more blue in my tank.

Crocea clams come in blue and are easier to keep than Maximas and cheaper. Also, Squamosus and derasas can come in blue but are pretty rare.

Crocea clams normally come in colors of purple, blue, green , gold, and silver.

a few pics to take your fancy
(Not my pics)

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;296497 said:
Crocea clams come in blue and are easier to keep than Maximas and cheaper. Also, Squamosus and derasas can come in blue but are pretty rare.

Crocea clams normally come in colors of purple, blue, green , gold, and silver.
Beautiful pics, that's why I want a clam! Good to know about the Crocea's, I've heard mixed opinions on whether or not Maxima or Crocea are harder...but if Crocea are cheaper and still come in nice colors, I guess that's the way to go.

Mike that sounds good I'm sure 3" would be fine. As I mentioned I'm out of town this weekend so, don't order anything just for me! However, if you do get some in please let me know, I'd love to come check them out when I'm back in CO.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You don't have enough light, IMO, for a Crocea or a Maxima.

The 3" issue is a near-myth - you can read all about it if you Google "clams Fatheree." Fatheree wrote many nice articles about it.

If you need a blue clam, save up for a blue squamosa.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;296508 said:
You don't have enough light, IMO, for a Crocea or a Maxima.

The 3" issue is a near-myth - you can read all about it if you Google "clams Fatheree." Fatheree wrote many nice articles about it.

If you need a blue clam, save up for a blue squamosa.
Good to know about the 3" myth, thank you. I'll take your opinion on my lighting into consideration...I'd certainly prefer a blue squamosa if one were available, but I haven't seen one so far. Maybe I'll just wait it out.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Croceas are actually the shallowest dwelling of clams which means they also need the most light. Maximas are a close second with squamosa, derasa and hippopus clams living at much greater depths. I would recommend you start with either a derasa or squamosa, but if that's not the color you're after, and you're not willing to fork over several hundred for a blue squamosa, than I would go with a maxima. They are typically found living on rock surfaces in very shallow areas or even within hard corals of the reef, so you should be able to get pack some more light into one by placing it high up on your rocks. They regulate their own photo period by either retracting or expanding their mantle or by adjusting their algae, so when in doubt, give them too much light and allow them time to adjust to it.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All four Tahitian maximas (Blue/Green Mixtures) are at least 6" in size and are $175 ea. Had these monsters for over 2 months. If you are in NOCO sometime stop by and check them out. Thanks!

V
GWA

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;296517 said:
Croceas are actually the shallowest dwelling of clams which means they also need the most light. Maximas are a close second with squamosa, derasa and hippopus clams living at much greater depths. I would recommend you start with either a derasa or squamosa, but if that's not the color you're after, and you're not willing to fork over several hundred for a blue squamosa, than I would go with a maxima. They are typically found living on rock surfaces in very shallow areas or even within hard corals of the reef, so you should be able to get pack some more light into one by placing it high up on your rocks. They regulate their own photo period by either retracting or expanding their mantle or by adjusting their algae, so when in doubt, give them too much light and allow them time to adjust to it.
Good information, thank you very much. I have read numerous accounts of people keeping thriving Maxima's under less lighting than mine, so I had assumed I would be OK. Based on a couple opinions here maybe I'm not. Frankly most clam care articles I've found list MH as the best option, but under alternative options does not list LED's at all, so I'm not sure how LED's rank compared to other forms of lighting for clam care.

fishguy69;296541 said:
All four Tahitian maximas (Blue/Green Mixtures) are at least 6" in size and are $175 ea. Had these monsters for over 2 months. If you are in NOCO sometime stop by and check them out. Thanks!

V
GWA
Will do and thanks for the heads up, hoping to plan a "fish road trip" in that direction sometime this month.

Dr.HarlemTutu;296570 said:
I have 2 Tahitians from great white. Love them!
I am running halides with led.
Everyone else being rational and trying to start me on a squamosa, and you come in and drop that maxima bomb on me. Shame on you! :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So not to high jack, but curious what i might be able to keep clam wise under a 4tube t5. Only derasa? If I upgrades to 6tube t5 would I be able to keep a maxima?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It would depend on the reflectors and the bulb choices. T5s can be horrible on bad reflectors with bad bulbs and amazing with good ones.

About twice a year, cultured blue squamosa clams are available around 2" for about $125. Just wait for one. Until then, blue rim deresa clams are pretty awesome - I like them at least.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;296709 said:
About twice a year, cultured blue squamosa clams are available around 2" for about $125. Just wait for one. Until then, blue rim deresa clams are pretty awesome - I like them at least.
I actually think Deresa's are really beautiful online, but haven't been as impressed with one in person yet unfortunately. Will keep my eyes open for both, thanks.

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
maxfrenkel19;296726 said:
I actually think Deresa's are really beautiful online, but haven't been as impressed with one in person yet unfortunately. Will keep my eyes open for both, thanks.
We've got a really nice little blue rimmed derasa in right now for $60.

View attachment 18027

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;296732 said:
We've got a really nice little blue rimmed derasa in right now for $60.

Very cool! that would definitely add some blue, I'll have to come check out your store once I'm back in town.