Green hair algae or bryopsis

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
looks like gha to me, but hard to tell from blurry pics. Briops pretty distinctive though and usually has somewhat of a blueish tint to the ends of it, and kind of of an arrowhead shape to the leaves, where as gha has a long thin strands like hair.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FWIW, I would try getting your GHA to a point where it stops growing before adding CUC. Get the nutrients under control and start removing as much as you can from the tank every few days. Eventually...the GHA will still be present in short "tufts", but will stop growing back into long threads.

Snails are unlikely to touch the long strands of GHA so you're better off adding them once things are under control and they can clean up the leftovers. Removing it is pretty easy with the right tools...I use something like this and just twirl the GHA around it to pull it out. It's quick and easy

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Let me see if I can a link online...it was just one of those random things that I had laying around from a project several years ago. They some of the online fish shops sell them as filter cleaners...let me see what I can find for you since I need to replace mine anyway :)

edit: Here you go, found some on Amazon...there are several similar options there. Just a heads up, a lot of the reviews on the link below say they are pretty flexible so you may want to dig around for some more sturdy brushes

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Water-Cleaning-White-Bristle/dp/B007HKHKJU

Last edited by a moderator:

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;325144 said:
Let me see if I can a link online...it was just one of those random things that I had laying around from a project several years ago. They some of the online fish shops sell them as filter cleaners...let me see what I can find for you since I need to replace mine anyway :)

edit: Here you go, found some on Amazon...there are several similar options there. Just a heads up, a lot of the reviews on the link below say they are pretty flexible so you may want to dig around for some more sturdy brushes

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Water-Cleaning-White-Bristle/dp/B007HKHKJU
Thanks!